Things I'll miss about co-sleeping
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 02-29-2012 - 1:14pm|
I remember when I was pregnant with my first child and ran across a group for parents who co-slept in association with Attachment Parenting. I clicked my back button and kept going in looking for parenting information. After I miscarried and got pregnant again, I ended up with a beautiful baby girl. She was the jewel in our lives. However, after about a week of sleeping next to the bed in a bassinet, decided that she wouldn't sleep alone again. This helped lead us down the path of Attachment Parenting. Since my youngest is almost weaned at three and I have time to reflect on what I'll miss... here is my most loved list about co-sleeping.
As a caveat, I know that co-sleeping isn't for everyone and it needs to be done safely.
1. It was so easy to breastfeed in the middle of the night.
2. Diaper changes were made easier (with a pad) in the middle of the night. I used to keep a lamp by my side of the bed and rarely woke up my husband.
3. Our crib made a great clothes hamper/cloth diaper holder.
4. Her room made a great half office.
5. When the baby was ill/heavily asthmatic, I didn't have to worry about them as much. Thankfully, I am a pretty light sleeper and wake when my son is having an attack in the middle of the night. He is old enough to get us if he needs help though.
6. I love baby cuddles.
7. When we go on trips, I don't have to bring anything with me for the youngest to sleep on.
8. The older two can play in their rooms without waking the youngest up during naptime.
9. The older kids fondly remember sleeping next to me and being rocked back to sleep in the middle of the night.
10. I have some extra wonderful memories of taking care of their night time needs with great love and still feel that it worked the best for us.
11. When my older kids were little and my husband was out of town, we had a few times that sleet knocked out the electricity or there was something else that scared them. They could come in and sleep in my room for the night without having any issue, since they knew the drill.