Find a Conversation
|Sat, 12-11-2010 - 5:48pm|
December 11th is...
Jack Frost Day
- Tradition holds Jack Frost responsible for leaving frosty crystal patterns on windows on cold mornings (window frost or fern frost).
National Noodle-Ring Day
- Whether you like homemade pasta or prefer the instant noodle variety like Ramen noodles, Cup noodles or other sorts of pasta, we all know a world without noodles would be total anarchy! OK, maybe not that serious but noodles and pasta are cultural staples for many cultures (i.e. Asian, Italian, cultures etc.)
International Mountain Day
- The holiday is primarily intended to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life, to highlight the opportunities and constraints in mountain development and to build partnerships that will bring positive change to the world's mountains and highlands.
- Anniversary of the establishment by the United Nations General Assembly of the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in 1946.
International Shareware Day
- A day to take the time to reward the efforts of thousands of computer programmers who trust that if we try their programs and like them, we will pay for them. Unfortunately, very few payments are received, thus stifling the programmers’ efforts. This observance is meant to prompt each of us to inventory our PCs and Macs, see if we are using any shareware and then take the time in the holiday spirit to write payment checks to the authors. Hopefully this will keep shareware coming.
Color Movies Birthday
- Development of Kinemacolor, where both filming and projection were done through red and green filters. The film went through the red filter and green filter successively, one filter after the other. Smith's A VISIT TO THE SEASIDE (1908), an eight-minute short, was the first commercial film. The public first saw the process in 1909, in London.
National Knitters Day
- If you don't know how to knit, today is a good day to learn! What are you knitting for Christmas gifts this year?