12/1 is.......

Community Leader
12/1 is.......
Wed, 12-01-2010 - 9:38am

December 1st is...

December.jpgHanukkah
- also known as the Festival of Lights is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt of the 2nd century BCE, Hanukkah is observed for eight nights, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar.

World AIDS Awareness Day
- In 1988 the World Health Organization of the UN declared Dec 1 as World AIDS Day, an international day of awareness and education about AIDS. The WHO is the leader in global direction and coordination of AIDS prevention, control, research and education. A program called UN-AIDS was created to bring together the skills and expertise of the World Bank, UNDP, UNESCO, UNICEF, UNFPA and the WHO to strengthen and expand national capacities to respond to the pandemic.

National Pie Day
- a special day that is set aside to bake and cook all of your favorite pies. On this day, you are also encouraged to bake a few new pie recipes. And most importantly, it's a day to eat pies! A great way to celebrate is to bake some pies and give them away to friends, neighbors, and relatives. You never know, you may be starting a tradition of pie giving between your friends and family.

National Eat a Red Apple Day
- It is really easy to participate in this special day. There are thousands of varieties of apples grown all over the planet. Your mission today, is to pick an apple among all of these varieties, and eat it. Just make sure it's a red apple!

Bifocals at the Monitor Liberation Day
- Our hearts fill with compassion today for coworkers stuck wearing bifocals at the computer. Shed a tear as their heads bob up and down, in and out, trying to read the monitor, trying to decide which set of lenses to use.

Day With(out) Art Day
- An annual observance about the impact of AIDS on the visual arts. Events to increase public awareness through the visual arts and direct services to artists living with HIV/AIDS.

Special Kids Day
- began as a holiday event for children with special needs and their families to visit Santa Claus without obstacles. Dedicated to providing celebratory events for children with disabilities and their families in environments designed to accommodate their special needs.

Rosa Parks Day
- Anniversary of the arrest of Rosa Parks, at Montgomery, AL, in 1955 for refusing to give up her seat and move to the back of a municipal bus. Her arrest triggered a year long boycott of the city bus system and led to legal actions that ended racial segregation on municipal buses throughout the southern US. The event has been called the birth of the modern civil rights movement.

Phony Smile Day
- Are you going to celebrate this one? Do you give a fake smile when you are unhappy?

Basketball Created
- James Nai-smith was a teacher of physical education at the International YMCA Training School at Springfield, MA in 1891. To create an indoor sport that could be played during the winter months, he nailed up peach baskets at opposite ends of the gym and gave students soccer balls to toss into them. Thus was born the game of basketball.

Playboy First Published
- an American men's magazine that features photographs of nude women as well as journalism and fiction. It was founded in Chicago in 1953 by Hugh Hefner and his associates, and funded in part by a $1,000 loan from Hefner's mother.

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree: Annual Lighting
- Lighting of the huge Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center signals the opening of the holiday season at New York City. More than 30,000 lights are strung on five miles of electric wire. In 1933 the first formal tree lighting ceremony took place with 700 lights.

Community Leader
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 1:14pm

LOL!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 10:38am

Lots of good ones there and I especially like

National Eat a Red Apple Day

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 12:58pm

Hope you get it fixed!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 12:31pm
well, I didn't make it to pie making last night. D and I went to the auto start installer after work to see if they can get mine to work. Six trys and it's still not right. It's one of those frustrating things!!
KRISTIE
Community Leader
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 8:28am

Sounds good to me!

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-01-2010 - 2:58pm

I'll take pie day.

KRISTIE