Find a Conversation
|Thu, 12-02-2010 - 8:29am|
December 2nd is...
Science Fiction Day
- a day to celebrate everything science fiction! Enjoy a day of science fiction fun- such as watching science fiction movies, watching history on UFO's and even having some classroom fun by having a science fiction day at school. Make yourself aware of the possibilities of space, our universe and the idea of aliens.
National Fritters Day
- This holiday is about making and enjoying homemade fritters! Fritters are popular all over the world and come in many different flavors. The photo above is a crispy dessert apple fritter, but you can make you own homemade savory fritters too!
Coats for Kids Day
- an annual community project that collects and distributes warm winter coats to eligible children and teenagers.
Special Education Day
- Celebrate the anniversary of the first US special education law—Dec 2, 1975. take the day to honor progress and celebrate students with disabilities--and their parents, teachers and schools. And, we dialogue and plan for the future for all students in our schools and for appropriate reforms.
International Day for the Abolition of Slavery Day
- Recalls the date of adoption by the General Assembly in 1949 of the Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and the Exploitation of Others. To remind people that modern slavery works against human rights. The day also encourages people to put meaning to the words of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that “no one shall be held in slavery or servitude” through their actions.
- The goal of this celebration of life is to create a new consciousness concerning the impact of our food choices on the environment, world hunger, animal welfare and human health—especially heart health. Vegetarian diets increase longevity and help prevent—and even reverse—heart disease.
I Dream of Jeannie Wedding Day 1969
- Major Nelson and Jeannie finally get married, with Major Healey as best man — but not without problems: Jeannie's image can't be photographed!
Play Basketball Day
- Shoot, throw and pass, dunk and have fun with all those around you. Catch up with your pals/loved ones who love the game or enjoy playing
Safety Razor Patented
- American King Camp Gillette designed the first razor with disposable blades in 1901. Up until this time, men shaved with a straight-edge razor that they sharpened on a leather strap.
Artificial Heart Transplant
- Barney C. Clark, 61, became the first recipient of a permanent artificial heart in 1982. The operation was performed at the University of Utah Medical Center at Salt Lake City. Near death at the time of the operation, Clark survived almost 112 days after the implantation.
First Self-Sustaining Nuclear Chain Reaction
- Physicist Enrico Fermi led a team of scientists in 1942 at the University of Chicago in producing the first controlled, self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction. Their first simple nuclear reactor was built under the stands of the University’s football stadium.
And most importantly my birthday!