Find a Conversation
|Sun, 12-05-2010 - 1:02pm|
December 5th is...
International Ninja Day
- Plague your co-workers with ninja-ness and wear a ninja mask to work! Got the day off? Run wild in the streets, or dress like a ninja at the mall! Just show the world that YOU ARE NINJA!
Bathtub Party Day
- Almost everyone nowadays takes showers, so here’s a day to recall some of the warm-water luxury of days gone by. Draw yourself a tub full of warm water. Add a few bath oil beads, and Voila! You're ready to hop in and soak in the bathtub. Ahh, how soothing and relaxing!
National Sacher Torte Day
- Sachertorte is a chocolate cake, invented by Franz Sacher in 1832 for Klemens Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria. It is one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialties. Has anyone ever had one?
Blue Jeans Day
- celebrate by wearing blue jeans all day long. Initially, blue jeans were simply sturdy trousers worn by workers, especially in the factories during World War II. Today, jeans are a very popular form of casual dress around the world and come in many styles and colors, with the "blue jeans" particularly identified with the American culture, especially the American Old West.
"The Abbott and Costello Show" TV Premiere
- Bud Abbott and Lou Costello made 52 half-hour films for television incorporating many of their best burlesque routines. The show ran for two seasons, until 1954.
Haiti - Discovery Day
- Commemorates the discovery of Haiti by Christopher Columbus in 1492. Columbus' first sighting of the island of Hispaniola was along the northwest coast which is now the nation of Haiti.
Walt Disney's Birthday
- Walter Elias "Walt" Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur, entertainer, international icon, and philanthropist. Disney is famous for his influence in the field of entertainment during the 20th century.
International Volunteer Day for Economic & Social Development
- recognizing the desirability of encouraging the work of all volunteers. A day commemorating the establishment in December 1970 of the UN Volunteers program and inviting world recognition of volunteerism in the international development movement.
- The American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations joined together in 1955, following 20 years of rivalry, to become the nation’s leading advocate for trade unions.
Bicycle Riding Day
- Bicycle riding is both a fun and functional form of exercise. Typical exercise regimes, like going to the gym, usually require time be set aside. Bicycle riding is a healthy activity that easily fits into the normal rhythms of daily life. Need milk? Hop on your bike and ride. Meeting friends for lunch? Avoid the traffic jams and packed public transport by riding a bicycle instead.
Folding Theater Chair Birthday
- Aaron Allen of Boston patented the folding theater chair in 1854. Celebrate by going to the movies and rocking in a chair. Don't forget the popcorn!
National Communicate with Your Baby Day
- Between birth and the age of two, your baby is experiencing most of its brain development. As your little one babbles and smiles, he or she is on the road to developing their first conversation and language skills. It is also a time where communicating with your child can help build security and self-esteem.
Play Hookey Day
- This is the day when people are supposed to play hooky from work and go shopping. Since it's Sunday, maybe it's a day to play hookey from what you normally do and do something different?