12/9

Community Leader
12/9
Thu, 12-09-2010 - 4:02pm

December 9th is...

December.jpgChristmas Card Day
- honors Sir Henry Cole (1818 - 1874) of England. Cole created the first commercial Christmas Card in 1843. Just a few decades ago, sending Christmas cards through the mail was a holiday "must". Will you be sending out Christmas cards this year?

Day of the Horse
- the brainchild of two Woodside horse lovers who wanted to bring the community together in support of the horse, is a chance to pay tribute to our equine friends with a day of fun and festivities.

International Anti-corruption Day
- On Oct 31, 2003, the General Assembly adopted the United Nations Convention against Corruption (Res 58/4) and designated Dec 9 as International Anti-Corruption Day, to raise awareness of corruption and of the role of the Convention in combating and preventing it.

Weary Willie Day
- This day is named for Emmett Kelly's clown character Willie, who was born on this date in 1898. Today is meant to appreciate the art of clowning and the importance it plays in our lives. So use today to learn some clown skills, maybe juggling or at the very least get some big shoes, put a flower in your pocket and wear a really big red nose!

National Pastry Day
- a fun day created to encourage you to make, and of course eat, your favorite pastries. On this day, well known pastry chefs put on a show, making and displaying their finest creations.

Ball-Bearing Roller Skates Patented
- Steel ball bearings for wheels were patented in 1884. In 1898 the Richardson Ball Bearing and Skate company went into production. The design of the quad skate has changed very little since that time.

First Christmas Seals Issued
- The first tuberculosis Christmas Seal was Denmark 1904, conceived by Danish postal worker Einar Holboll. Sweden and Iceland, issued Christmas Seals the same year. America was not far behind. In 1907 Emily Bissell was responsible for designing, and with the help of Philadelphia newspaperman Leigh Mitchell Hodges, promoting the first U.S. National Christmas Seal.

America's First Formal Cremation
- The first formal cremation of a human body in America took place near Charleston, SC. Henry Laurens, Colonial statesman and signer of the Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War, in his will provided: “I do solemnly enjoin it on my son, as an indispensable duty, that as soon as he conveniently can, after my decease, he cause my body to be wrapped in twelve yards of tow cloth and burned until it be entirely consumed, and then, collecting my bones, deposit them wherever he may think proper.” Laurens died Dec 8, 1792, at his plantation and was cremated there.

"Coronation Street" TV Premiere (50th Anniversary)
- One of the UK’s longest running television series, “Coronation Street” depicts the working class denizens of a neighborhood in Manchester, England. Created by Tony Warren, this soap is a cultural touchstone, and show story lines have been reported on the news