Cheergal2006 I have a question

Community Leader
Cheergal2006 I have a question
Thu, 01-08-2004 - 9:30pm
I believe you mentioned that you cheered in college? What type of cheering, just for sports or did you do the cheer team competitions? My daughter would love to do that when she is finished with gymnastics. If she can't go to college on gymnastics (which she probably could but at this point she is way to young to think about it), then she wants to be on one of those cheer-gymnastic teams.

How did you handle the practice and the pressure and study? Did you work? What kind of practice does it take?

Konnie

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-09-2004 - 8:19pm
We did both. We would cheer at football and basketball games then we'd also compete in college nationals. Being a college level cheerleader takes a lot of discipline which i'm sure she has being a competive gymnast. So she has that part covered. No i didn't work my parents paid my tution but your daughter could probably get in on a scholarship. Since shes excelling in gymnatics. I started when I was young so it was normal for me. We practiced 5 days a week for 2 hours or more(depending on what we were practicing for). Once agian I'm sure she's used that kinda thing. If it were me I'd go ahead and put her in a cheerleading program so she can gain some other skills that are used just for cheerleading like flying and motions. She could just do it one day a week. Some places have cheer clinics which she can do once a week. She has a good advantage since she already has so many skills. Most teams require her to be able to fly or base. Which takes a different type of skill. Now depending on her height and weight she'll be choosen to fly or base. I was a flyer and one thing the required me to do was a basket toss. Some of the tumbling requirements were: -Toss Hands

-Full in one pass

-Double Down

-Running round-off, layout

-3 stunt sequence

I've got no clue as to weather they do that in gymnastics,do they?? I hope I helped and didn't ramble to much.

HTH,

Shelby

Community Leader
Fri, 01-09-2004 - 9:38pm
Wow! How awesome. Thanks for the information. She is a small girl ,not tall or heavy. She can do some of that stuff, by next year she will be able to do all of it except maybe the double (are we talking about a double tuck on the floor?) In the air if she was tossed she probably could do one. She is learning her twists and is perfecting her layout and front tucks.

Thanks for your suggestions about the cheer clinics and classes. Right now she practices 4 nights a week (4 1/2 hours) and 3 mornings a week (2 hours), so she can't handle anything else at the moment. But when she is nearing the end of her gymnastics before it is time to do anything about college, we will definitely look into those classes.

Sounds like y'all had a wonderful career. Can you still do anything? I bet you can't wait till you can teach your daughter. How fun!

Konnie

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2004 - 8:28pm
Sure no problem! I think they called a standing tuck...I can't remember the techinal term(oops!). she is a busy girl!! She'll have no problem with cheerleading.

We did have a wonderful time! I can still do a lot of my stuff, I really hope Haylei will enjoy it as much as i did!

XOXO,

Shelby