December 29th is....
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 12-29-2010 - 1:03pm|
December 29th is...
Wounded Knee Massacre
- Anniversary of the massacre of more than 200 Native American men, women and children by the US Seventh Cavalry at Wounded Knee Creek, SD. Government efforts to suppress a ceremonial religious practice, the Ghost Dance (which called for a messiah who would restore the bison to the plains, make the white men disappear and bring back the old Native American way of life), had resulted in the death of Sitting Bull, Dec 15, 1890, which further inflamed the disgruntled Native Americans and culminated in the slaughter at Wounded Knee, Dec 29.
Pepper Pot Day
- commemorates the creation of this thick spicy soup, which was served to the Continental Army during the cold, harsh winter of 1777-1778. Pepper Pot soup was first made on December 29, 1777.
Tick Tock Day
- Time runs out! All those dreams you’ve had, all those fantasies? It’s time, friend. Do it!
- The first US branch of the Young Men’s Christian Association was organized at Boston in 1851. It was modeled on an organization begun at London in 1844.
Saint Thomas of Canterbury: Feast Day
- Thomas, Archbishop of Canterbury, was born at London in 1118 and was murdered at the Canterbury Cathedral on this date in 1170.
- a topsy, turvy day when everything you say, do, see, and hear are the opposite. If you say go left, you mean go right. If you say look up, it means look down. If you see your left foot... is it really your right?
Bowling Ball invented
- The game of bowling can be traced back to approximately 5200 B.C., when ancient Egyptians used stones for their balls. Today marks the anniversary of the day that the modern bowling ball was invented. Actually, it is stated that the wooden version of the modern bowling ball was invented on this day in 1862. Today, they use some sort of plastic/polyester compound.