READ THIS if you shoot & edit in RAW...

iVillage Member
READ THIS if you shoot & edit in RAW...
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 7:04pm

and use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) to edit your RAW images! I do not know about the programs that come with your camera as I only use ACR & CS3 to edit my RAW shots.  For those of you who do not know what ACR is, I didn't either.  It's basically a Photo Shop plugin that allows you to open your RAW documents and make changes to WB, exposure etc.  So you have to open Photo Shop to use ACR.  I personally do not like Canon's RAW editor and only use Photo Shop's ACR.  So I open CS3 and click ctrl/o and open my RAW image.  A box opens with my pic and allows me to do the RAW edits I want, then after I do those RAW edits, I click open image and it opens my pic in my normal Photo Shop canvas so I can do the rest of my edits. 

Well what I didn't know is that when you open your RAW images with ACR, it by default changes your color profile from sRGB (which your cam and PS should already be set to) to Adobe RGB.  For printing purposes you should be using sRGB.  The prints will not come out like you expect if your color profile is set to Adobe RGB.  What a pain it all is.  Why can't there be ONE color profile!  ARG!  Anywho (lol) you can change the default color profile of your RAW ACR images by doing the following...

Open CS3 and go to edit>color settings.  The top section should already be set to sRGB.  So don't worry about that.  The bottom box says Color Management Policies.  And in the RGB box it will probably say Preserve embeded profiles...which is telling Photo Shop to keep the Adobe RGB profile that ACR changed it to.  So you need to use the drop down menu and choose Convert to working RGB.  This is now telling Photo Shop to ignore the Adobe RGB that ACR chagned it to and to keep it to sRGB which is was shot in.  I don't know about any of the other menus in the drop down menu so I just changed the RGB.

So now when I open my RAW shots with ACR and open image on my Photo Shop canvas, it is still sRGB and I can edit, save and print away with no worries.  Well...that is if my monitor is calibrated correctly!  PHEW...they really like to keep us on our toes don't they!  I still have NO idea why ACR selects Adobe RGB (with the exception that it's an Adobe product ~ but with that said so is Photo Shop and it's default is sRGB but whatever) but this will atleast solve the problem.  I was so relieved to find this because I thought I was going to have to change my color profile on every shot!  Lol!  So eventhough I don't think he comes here...I want to give proper credit where it is due.  Thank you PShizzy on 2Peas for helping me with this.  If it weren't for him, I'd still be completely LOST!  Lol!  Oh...he also said that LR usually changes RAW images to ProPhoto RG.  So you might have some issues printing RAW images from LR.  But I have LR 1.1 and can't open RAW in it, so I don't know enough about it to go into detail.  He just said that ACR prefers Adobe RGB and LR prefers ProPhoto RG.

But it does appear that I will have to re edit the 30 shots I did of Shannon's shoot because when I convert the color profile of the already PP shots, they change too much to salavge.  I'd rather start fresh.  Then I have abotu 100 for Haylee's school to do!  YIKES.  I think I'll just cheat and run PW actions on those since they are just for the yearbook and will be shrunk pretty small!  Lol!

So...I hope that if you don't already know this and are deciding to try RAW (which is now my life line and will NEVER EVER shoot in jpeg again) that I save you the hassle of going through what I did!

If you have any questions of want screenshots to explain better...give me a holla!  :O)

ETA...I THINK I found a better way.  I knew I should've waited to post this!  As I was opening a RAW shot today I noticed at the bottom of the ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) plugin in Photo Shop, that at the bottom of the pic it said Adobe RGB...in a blue link.  So I clicked it and you know what...there was the option to change the color profile in ACR!  I CANNOT believe I didn't see this!  *BLUSHING*  So...after I clicked the blue lil link (see pic 1) it brought up a dialog box with a lil drop down menu (see pic 2) and I selected the bottom sRGB file, which is the same color profile my CS3 is set to.  So then I hit open image and closed it.  I went back to Edit>color settings> and switched the RGB (that I told you to change above) back to "preserve embeded profiles" from "working sRGB" that I switched it too, now that my ACR is set to the correct sRGB color profile.  I want it to open on my regular canvas as that exact color space...so that's why I changed it back.  When I opened the RAW image in ACR again...guess what it said at the bottom of the pic?  You guessed it...sRGB (see pic 3).  So I am sure the way I originally did it would work too...but this way seems to be better.  I wasn't entirely sure what working sRB was and the color profiles matched when I pasted my logo.  But now my RAW files from ACR are the EXACT same color profile as the default in my CS3.  So I'm happy now that this is the best way.  I thought about redoing the post and deleting what I wrote before...but I think that way will work too...so I just decided to keep it and add to this!  Okay...I'll stop confusing you now!  Lol!  Lemme know if you have any questions!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

10/3Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-15-2008 - 12:32am
Ah....thank you so much for this.
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-14-2008 - 9:38pm
Alright, he came home :) I have LR 2.1 I believe and my husband got my WB actions from: www dot lightroomkillertips dot com I hope that helps!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

siggy<\center>

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-14-2008 - 2:11pm
Let me get back to you on that... I need to talk to the husband and he's at work. I'll let you know asap!

siggy<\center>

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 10:20pm
I didn't know you could download WB presets for LR.
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 9:53pm
Well I've downloaded quite a few extras but I have quite a few white balance fixes... pretty much the same options as on the camera. I'll have to check which version of LR I have...

siggy<\center>

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 9:16pm
Have you tried to fix WB in ACR?
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 9:04pm
That's true... I get the best results as far as white balance and brightness in LR but I have to go into photo shop if I need to do more- which I usually do!

siggy<\center>

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 8:48pm

Yeah, I knew that.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 7:53pm
you type way too much, but you knew that ;) Alright, I just wanted to say- I use lightroom and LOVE it. Have you seen it/heard of it?