Project Runway (9/29)

iVillage Member
Project Runway (9/29)
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 12:24pm

Wait, didn't we do the 70's last week? Oh, no, that was the rock 'n roll menswear challenge, where there just happened to be lots of Native American-themed shirts and bell-bottoms. Riding the sophisticated 70's trend that's happening right now — don't you read the news? — the designers will have to create a look inspired by the groovy decade without making it feel retro or vintage.

It's interesting to hear what this challenge conjures up for our young designers. Laura hopes for "good Mood trips," which I guess is kind of appropriate. To Kimberly, the 70's bring to mind the "sexy secretary" look because her mom was a secretary back then. I can get behind that: sort of Jane Fonda before she met Dolly Parton in 9 to 5 (it came out in 1980, but close enough). Viktor and Anya both equate the decade to travel, for some reason -- to an African safari and a holiday in Jamaica, respectively. Joshua seems to think that because he wasn't born until the 80's, he's pretty much exempt from trying to figure out what 70's design looks like, which is one attitude to have. It seems his main point of reference is the movie Dreamgirls. For additional research, he basically goes to Bert and asks, "Bert, you're old -- what was the past like?"

More at...

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 8:16am
I liked Bert's look better then Anya's. Anya's was okay but I wasn't a fan of the print. Maybe it's because I could never wear that...the print would make me look even shorter and larger around : )

Josh was getting on my nerves...the way he kept saying he wasn't even born yet in the 70's. I mean give me a break if you look at the group that is there I don't think any of them except Bert were born/alive in the 70's. That was just a stupid excuse!!!

Lisa (aka pixie)