SoapNet Being Shut Down in 2012

iVillage Member
SoapNet Being Shut Down in 2012
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 1:04pm

SoapNet

Disney plans to shut down SOAPnet to make way for new cable channel Disney Junior in 2012, the company announced Wednesday.

SOAPnet launched in 2000 and currently airs a mix of recent episodes of daytime soap operas like General Hospital and The Young and the Restless, as well as repeats of such primetime dramas as Beverly Hills, 90210 and One Tree Hill. SOAPnet's one original series, the time-traveling drama Being Erica, was recently renewed for Season 3. Its fate now is unknown.

Disney Junior will target children ages 2 to 7 and will feature new shows, including Jake and the Never Land Pirates, as well as such current Disney Channel series as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny and Special Agent Oso.

More at.... http://www.tvguide.com/News/SOAPnet-Disney-Junior-1018998.aspx

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 1:06pm

clear pixel
READER PANEL

Join the Soap Opera Digest Reader Panel. If you love this magazine, you'll love being on the Reader Panel!
MORE
Star of the Week

Soap Opera Digest and Weekly Reports
Breaking News

SOAPnet To Go Dark
In 2012, Disney Junior, a channel aimed at preschoolers, will replace SOAPnet, the 24-hour soap channel that currently rebroadcasts the ABC lineup — AMC, GH and OLTL — as well as DAYS and Y&R. Brian Frons, President, Daytime, Disney-ABC Television Group, talked to Soap Opera Digest about what this means for the future of ABC daytime.

Soap Opera Digest: Should soap fans be worried about ABC Daytime?
Brian Frons: They shouldn't be worried. Over the years, Disney has made a lot of commitment to the Disney brand. As they looked out in the marketplace, they really felt they needed to be in the preschool space with a full-branded channel. Given the way technology has gone, where you can DVR your soap, watch it on Hulu and abc.com, it was felt that the original purpose of SOAPnet — today's soaps tonight — could sort of be fulfilled in different ways. Frankly, financially it will be better for us, because if you watch on daytime, we actually make more money than if the same person watches on SOAPnet, just because rates are that different between the network world and the cable world.

Digest: Does SOAPnet going dark mean anything for the future of ABC soaps?
Frons: No, it really doesn't. We've known about this for a while internally and that hasn't stopped us from moving ALL MY CHILDREN to the West Coast, to giving ONE LIFE TO LIVE a bigger stage, to continuing to commit to big events for these shows, whether it's shooting an upcoming sequence with James Franco at the Pacific Design Center or doing the three-day musical on ONE LIFE TO LIVE. So, the commitment to the shows, the commitment to making them the best they can be, is still the same.

Digest: What does it say that a 24-hour soap channel survived for 10 years?
Frons: I think the channel was the right idea at the right time. In the pre-DVR world, to allow women to have sort of 24-hour room service to watch their best shows, was terrific. And it really gave the soap fan a place to share their passion and to celebrate the form and their favorite shows.

Digest: What will happen now?
Frons: We're going to continue to celebrate the form, in particular the ABC shows. We are not reducing our marketing spend one dollar. If you think about it, we'll actually be spending more on marketing our soaps because we’re not going to be doing any new original programming, other than the new season of BEING ERICA. So, we're going to take those dollars and put them against the soap operas. I think the positive here is that we can more clearly drive viewers to the core destination of ABC.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 1:39pm
This sucks. Soaps cannot catch a break. Like we need another kid channel :(
Siggy
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 10:48pm
Seriously?
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 8:21am

I think this is bad news for soaps in general. It was such a huge deal when SoapNet went on the air and now for it to be yanked for yet another kids' channel? I agree with what's been said about "do we really need another one of those?". If I had a younger child, I wouldn't know what channel to have them watch. Noggin would be enough for me. LOL. What about PBS? Are Sesame Streets ratings hurting?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 10:26am

I agree with all of you...