The Carrie Diaries - Premiere 1/14

iVillage Member
The Carrie Diaries - Premiere 1/14
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 9:00am

Here’s a not-so-surprising confession if you know me or even perhaps read my Gossip Girl recaps for this site: I love sequins. I’m like a cat, responding to shiny objects. Or I’m just a 33-year-old gay man who loves sequins. Either way, this ultimately makes me the perfect audience for The Carrie Diaries, which is awash in both that shiny material and nostalgia for the decade that I grew up in, the 1980s. I’ve also seen every episode of the original Sex and the City but I draw the line at the SATC tour…but mostly that’s out of my distaste for public buses.

Crafting a prequel for a character as iconic as Carrie Bradshaw is a pretty ambitious undertaking but I personally found The Carrie Diaries’ pilot totally charming. It definitely is a little jarring at first because it’s not SATC. It’s not Gossip Girl. It’s more like Sixteen Candles without all the broad comedy. But that totally worked for me and AnnaSophia Robb was really adorable. This is gonna sound negative but she kinda reminded me of a young Lindsay Lohan. Something about her face and her voice. I’m talking like Mean Girls-style before the Liz & Dick era.

More at....... http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/the-carrie-diaries-season-1-episode-1/

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 9:30am

I'll admit that I'm intrigued by this show, but will probably not watch it.... until it's in reruns somewhere.    LOL

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 11:19am

I'm intrigued as well ! Like the reviewer stated, I'm a huge fan of the original Sex and the City - I've even done the tour!!!- but I'm just now sure about this show. Has anyone else watched it yet? I guess for me, it's just hard to envision anyone else playing Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha, even in their youngers years.

Lisa