American Idol(1/30)

iVillage Member
American Idol(1/30)
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 6:48am

They say the best things come in small packages, and that was certainly the case on Wednesday's American Idol, when a diminutive hopeful wowed the judges and brought Mariah Carey to tears.

Matheus Fernandes, 21, had gone to see doctors all his life to determine what was preventing him from growing. "They couldn't really figure anything out. They were just like, 'Dude, it's not a hormonal problem. You're not disproportionate. You're just plain short,'" he explained.

Fernandes, who said that he was bullied throughout high school and middle school due to his stature, started his audition by asking the judges good-naturedly, "Is there a height limit on this show?" And then he delivered a blistering rendition of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come" that earned him four yeses from the table.

for more...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/American-Idol-San-Antonio-Mariah-Carey-Tears-1060157.aspx

Lisa (aka pixie)

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 8:42am

Give me a second to get my brain back on straight since it took 9 times to sign on and I'm aggravated now.

Deep Cleansing Breaths.

Anyhoooooooooooooooooooooo.................

I love Keith.   I'll admit I've been a huge fan for years but he's a breath of fresh air on that judges panel and I hate that the ratings are down because of Nicki and Mariah.    I wonder what JLo, Randy and Keith would have been like.    Keith gives such real, insightful responses and he seems to truly love the people who can sing.

Umm that Matteo guy (or Mattheus however he's spelling his name now) didn't make me sad because he's been on The Glee Project before so this isn't a guy who hasn't had time in the spotlight yet.    I wish they had been forthcoming with that info.  He'll get sympathy votes from people because he's small. 

I loved the 16 year old girl who had been bullied (Brianna?).   There's something special about that girl.   I also really loved the guy who had the speech impediment but then sang like an angel.

There were quite a few who got through last night where I turned to my DH and said "that guy or girl won't make it through hollywood week, though".