Sept. 11, 2001 - where were you, how did you find out -

iVillage Member
Sept. 11, 2001 - where were you, how did you find out -
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 11:05pm

I have been spending a lot of time the last couple of days watching original coverage and commentary.

So how did you find out, where were you, what was your first reaction?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member

It was just before 8am central time when I was getting out of bed and the phone rang. My daughter told me to turn the tv on, there was a plane crash in NYC. We watched together in horror as the second tower was hit. A close girlfriend of her's worked there. The girl and her brother who also worked in a tower were killed. :(

It was horrifying when the towers were hit and unbeliveably nightmarish when they collapsed. I couldn't leave the tv. Buckets of tears.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

I was at home & had the TV on for some reason,
DH was just leaving for work ..
Then we heard/saw :(
Eventually soon after both my sons called from where they were
Sad/saddened .. doesn't begin to explain how I felt/feel :(

iVillage Member
Chills felt as I read this Donna

::sigh::

iVillage Member

I knew nothing of what was happening.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
at home with my child and getting him ready for school.
My reaction was ...Really? It seemed like a movie.
my reaction changed when the news kept covering the disaster all day long.
iVillage Member

I was at my computer and on the message board I used to belong too. First post I saw was about an"accident" in NY. We turned on the TV and found out it was a terrorist attack.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I was already at work for a couple of hours.

Apple
Baby

iVillage Member
Hi Donna, what a beautiful commemorative graphic.neverstopping wrote:

It was just before 8am central time when I was getting out of bed and the phone rang. My daughter told me to turn the tv on, there was a plane crash in NYC. We watched together in horror as the second tower was hit. A close girlfriend of her's worked there. The girl and her brother who also worked in a tower were killed. :(

That is so, so sad.

It was horrifying when the towers were hit and unbeliveably nightmarish when they collapsed. I couldn't leave the tv. Buckets of tears. The world changed that day.

The next day I was supposed to fly to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin to meet a group of women from another message board here at iVillage. All airports were closed, so I drove all 16 hours up there by myself taking two days to get there as I was not going to let the terrorists win!!

This was also my main reaction, after and I guess during the shock.

My daughter had a baby son and it was so hard for me to leave them and make the trip. She and I talked a lot during my drive. She bundled up the baby and went to the first church service she found that was having a special service about what had happened. It turned out to be a Catholic church, we are Protestant, didn't matter, any church would have been good as we were all untied at that time. On my drive, three times I started to pull off the highway to turn around and go back home. I was glad I made the trip, but I wished I was home. Those were hard times.

Very -

I remember fear and anger and shock and thousands of American Flags appearing everywhere!! Everyone had a flag on their person in pins or hats or clothing, on their cars, in windows of their homes and flying from autos and homes and businesses. A beautiful sight that was!! Through the tragedy, it was a great feeling to see such togetherness throughout our country..for a little while..until it all went away. If only we could have that solidarity now..minus the tragedy..instead of the political division and hatefulness that exists. :(

Business as usual for our Congress.

My heart and prayers go out to all people and families who were involved or directly affected by the attack. With all of the videos and information on tv, it has to be even more painful for them at this time.

I hope the ones who are feeling too much pain turn off their tvs.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
hugss wrote:

I was at home & had the TV on for some reason,
DH was just leaving for work ..
Then we heard/saw :(

Photobucket
iVillage Member
sweetrose007x wrote:
at home with my child and getting him ready for school.
My reaction was ...Really? It seemed like a movie.
my reaction changed when the news kept covering the disaster all day long.

Hard to believe at first - that was about everyone's first reaction as far as I can tell.

It seemed like an accident to most people and I've heard other descriptions that it was like a movie.

Photobucket

Pages