at home ready to take son to school
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 9:07am
sweetrose007x wrote:
at home ready to take son to school

Did you end up taking him that day?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 10:07am

Just had got to work. I walked back to our cafe to get a cup of coffee and yelled something stupid to the ladies that worked in our cafe. They were standing together right by their little radio. I  thought man they are anit social this am..I said..What is yalls problems this morning. My friend came running to me and said..Haven't you heard what has just happened ...I said no...The plane had just crashed into the first tower.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:20am
wolfiesrule wrote:

Just had got to work. I walked back to our cafe to get a cup of coffee and yelled something stupid to the ladies that worked in our cafe. They were standing together right by their little radio. I  thought man they are anit social this am..I said..What is yalls problems this morning. My friend came running to me and said..Haven't you heard what has just happened ...I said no...The plane had just crashed into the first tower.

Were you guys glued to the tv after that Bobbye?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:38am

I was in the waiting room to have a mammogram.  I signed in - noticed everyone was glued to the tvs.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:45am
jammin2bach wrote:

I was in the waiting room to have a mammogram.  I signed in - noticed everyone was glued to the tvs.

And then what did you do?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 11:47am

It was 8:46am when the first tower was hit. I was just getting out of bed at that time when my phone rang. It was my DD1 telling me to turn on my tv. Together we watched the second tower get hit and heard about the Pentagon and the other plane crash. Shocking, crying, fear and so forth. We were then glued to the tv for days.

Two days later I was scheduled to fly out of town for a ladies get together. Of course all airports were shut down. I chose to drive the 17 hours to my destination, which I did do. I was on my cell phone often during that time talking to my dd's. DD1 had just given birth to her first child a month before. She took him and went to a church service that day while I was driving. Her church didn't have a service going on, so she searched and found one somewhere else as she just wanted to go to church. Three times I almost turned around to go be with her. I kept going, though, as I felt that if I cancelled my travel plans, the terrorists would have won. I was glad I went and it was a good distraction from the heavy sadness even though we all spent a good amount of time in the hotel lobby where the news was on all the time on a large screened tv there.

I'll never forget. :smileysad:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 12:19pm
neverstopping wrote:

It was 8:46am when the first tower was hit. I was just getting out of bed at that time when my phone rang. It was my DD1 telling me to turn on my tv. Together we watched the second tower get hit and heard about the Pentagon and the other plane crash. Shocking, crying, fear and so forth. We were then glued to the tv for days.

Two days later I was scheduled to fly out of town for a ladies get together. Of course all airports were shut down. I chose to drive the 17 hours to my destination, which I did do. I was on my cell phone often during that time talking to my dd's. DD1 had just given birth to her first child a month before. She took him and went to a church service that day while I was driving. Her church didn't have a service going on, so she searched and found one somewhere else as she just wanted to go to church. Three times I almost turned around to go be with her. I kept going, though, as I felt that if I cancelled my travel plans, the terrorists would have won. I was glad I went and it was a good distraction from the heavy sadness even though we all spent a good amount of time in the hotel lobby where the news was on all the time on a large screened tv there.

Don't think any of us will ever forget Donna,
Wow I can't believe you drove 17 hours & alone?
So you were talking on the phone while driving?
Glad you made it safely though!
Aww on your dd with her first only being a month.
It's one of those days that we'll always remember where we were when it happened ::sigh::

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 12:36pm
hugss wrote:
neverstopping wrote:

Yes, alone. I did it in two days though spending the first night in a hotel. It got me to my destination a day later than everyone else as some lived closer and one gal was able to get on a flight out before they all got cancelled. One gal cancelled the trip too as she didn't feel she could leave her distraught family during that time and she was fearful of traveling then too.
Yes, had to keep in touch with DD1 especially as she was really upset.
Thanks, me too! On the way back home, I had to drive hours through a pounding hard rain storm. I had angels on my bumpers for sure!!
It's one of those days that we'll always remember where we were when it happened ::sigh:: I know. :smileysad:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 12:56pm
neverstopping wrote:
hugss wrote:
neverstopping wrote:

Yes, alone. I did it in two days though spending the first night in a hotel. It got me to my destination a day later than everyone else as some lived closer and one gal was able to get on a flight out before they all got cancelled. One gal cancelled the trip too as she didn't feel she could leave her distraught family during that time and she was fearful of traveling then too.
Yes, had to keep in touch with DD1 especially as she was really upset.
Thanks, me too! On the way back home, I had to drive hours through a pounding hard rain storm. I had angels on my bumpers for sure!!
It's one of those days that we'll always remember where we were when it happened ::sigh:: I know. :smileysad:

Yikes on the storm on the way back,
You are one brave woman Donna!
Think many were fearful of flying/traveling after that.
However like you say .. good not to let them win!
Thank goodness for those angles on your bumper :smileyhappy:

Pages