Is it Braxton Hicks?

iVillage Member
Is it Braxton Hicks?
Wed, 03-19-2014 - 12:49am

This is my first pregnancy and i am in my 15th week.i feel kind of a tightness sometimes feels like a sharp pain my lower abdomon region. Is this braxton hicks it usually goes away pretty fast it started off only while im laying down now its random times.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2014 - 4:05pm

That depends. Does it continue to come and go when you do get it? If it does, then it could be Braxton-Hicks. Try shifting position, walking or sitting down, depending on what you're doing when it occurs. If you're standing still when it happens, then see if it comes and goes. If it does, then yes, you might be experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions.

If it's more of a sharp pain that you only feel once when it occurs, especially after shifting positions, it could also be Round Ligament Pain. As your uterus stretches, the round ligaments holding it in place often stretch too, resulting in a sharp pain around your belly or side. I have this problem a lot, and yes it can happen any time you turn or get up too suddenly. If you're standing still when it happens, then see if it comes and goes. If it does, then yes, you might be experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions.

~A.C

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-21-2014 - 6:26pm

Hi - This is my first pregnancy as well, and lets just say, I wish someone would have told me well before I experienced my first braxton kicks contraction that you in fact get them well before labor is close! However, I have only heard stories and read things (and my OB told me) they can be experienced after 20 weeks. But it's probably not uncommon either before that. My first one was Christmas day - I was 22 weeks. I asked my dad,. "what's this? Is this his head? Or butt?" and my dad smiled and said "no sweetie that's a braxton hicks contraction" of course I freaked because I was like, I can't be going into labor NOW! But in all reality they are normal, common and actualy it's a good sign that your body is prepping itself to do something when the time comes to deliver. Unless your placenta is attached low, you should be experincing the braxton hicks down that far. It'd say it's just your uterus stretching and your muscles too. Also, your hips will start to widen so you will feel pain too. It could be a combination of things, IF it's followed by cramping, pain, blood etc go to the ER! But where it's coming and going and feels okay I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your pregnancy! And Congrats!

Shana
Wife to Diego
Mommy to Luna and Panda - Furrybabies
Soon to be mommy to Xavi - Due April 27, 2014