Baby Benjamin has arrived!

iVillage Member
Baby Benjamin has arrived!
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 6:17pm

Just over two weeks early, our little boy is here! He was born on Wednesday, 3/21, at 8:42 am with NO EPI! I wanted one, but apparently it just wasn't in the cards. :) I'll try to be somewhat brief with my story:

My last doctor's appointment had been the previous Thursday; I was scheduled for another on 3/22. That had been with another doctor, though (not my regular doc), so I hadn't had him do a cervical check - the week before I'd been at 3 cm (unsure about effacement) and -3 station. Saturday night I was up all night with contractions after some fairly steady BH and then DTD. They were painful and no fun, but never really amounted to much and because we'd need a sitter for DD, I wasn't going to rush to the hospital at 3 am unless I was sure. By 6, though, they were done and I was back to normal life.

Wednesday, I woke up to a fairly strong contraction at about 4:30 am. I was able to go back to sleep and I think slept until 5 or so. They started coming more frequently and by 5:45, I decided I'd better get up and ready in case we needed to go to the hospital. I didn't even have my bag packed, so I had to start on that. Just after 6, DD got up, but I made her go back in her room to play. I wasn't timing the contractions, but they were definitely coming less than 5 minutes apart and were intense. DH got up shortly thereafter and started helping me pack and got DD ready for the day. Things were moving quickly and I was spending a lot of time in pain, so I didn't have a chance to call a friend before we dropped DD off at her doorstep at 7 am. It was dark outside and her husband answered the door, obviously woken up. DH basically said, "Your wife told Shelly she could watch [DD] - sorry we didn't call" and left DD.

The hospital was less than 10 minutes away; DH dropped me off to get a parking spot and I headed for the elevators. I was crouching down, getting through a contraction while waiting for the elevator, when some random lady peeked her head around the corner and asked if I was okay. I told her I was just getting ready to have a baby and she went away. :)

At the nurses' station, the lady took a few minutes to pull up my info and DH met us there. I was sent to triage where I had to change into a gown and give a urine sample - I hadn't had any show or plug loss that I'd known, but there was blood coming out when I was giving my sample now. It was really hard to get on the bed and be still because of the contractions, but she hooked the monitors up and checked me - I was at a 7-8. She said they'd try to get me my epidural and would rush the labwork. Shortly thereafter, my water broke on the triage table and they rushed me to a L&D room. It was 7:30. I cried and screamed my way through the contractions as she put in an IV and had me "sign" (there was a lot of scribbling") all the consent forms. She checked me again (it was probably around 8) and told me I was fully dilated and there really wasn't a point to an epi now, as it wouldn't take effect fast enough.

The contractions were hard and painful and I told DH several times that this isn't how I'd wanted my labor - I quite enjoyed my epi with DD - but it was surprisingly not as bad as I thought natural labor would be. That is, until the end, when the "ring of fire" hit. The pain was short-lived (I don't recall feeling like I was being split in half, as I've heard other women say), but it was super intense and I was screaming, "This really hurts!" and other obvious statements. I probably pushed for 20 minutes or so and with every push they told me that he was almost here and it would only take one more push, but that wasn't quite true. They kept telling me to push harder and better, so I felt a little out of control on the pushing. I would have taken things slower if left to myself. But, after he was born, the doctor reported that there was no tearing or bruising whatsoever and said it was because of my "control" during pushing. Whatever that means. He also insisted that as soon as the baby was out, I wouldn't feel pain. That wasn't true either. There was definite pain remaining for a couple of minutes after he was out. And I didn't feel particularly euphoric. Everything was okay and I was happy, but nothing made me especially keen on the whole natural thing.

Baby weighed 7 lbs, 1 oz, and was 19.5" long. He was perfectly healthy, as was I, so we got our full hour of skin-to-skin time and we only had to stay in the hospital a day. We're home now, and aside from sore nipples and a cranky baby who wants my milk to come in faster, we're doing well.

This worked out to be a bit longer than I intended, but I've attached a picture to help ease the pain. :) I can't wait to hear everyone else's stories as the time comes.

Shelly with DH, DD, and expecting #2 pregnancy calendar

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 7:06pm
Yay! Congratulations! That sounds like you were a little surprised at his arrival. Good thing you had child care lined up. I agree with you that my pain lasted past the birth and I didn't have much euphoria either. What a cutie :) wtg for handling a natural birth momma!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:12pm
Oh he's cute.....
Congratulations on your birth.
I totally understand the cranky babe and not enough milk....in the beginning.
Hopefully your getting your rest.....take care. ;)
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:32pm
Congratulations on your darling boy!

Sarah

Lily Jane 4/6/05

Stella Mae 11/29/06

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:36pm

Congrats !

siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 10:45pm
Congratulations! And to go through all that without drugs.. wahoo!!
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 11:29pm
Congrats! Great birth story! I hope your milk comes in soon. I absolutely hate those first few days when it takes so long to come in.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 11:50pm

Congratulations!!! He is beautiful!

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 2:29am

Congratulations!! What a little cutie pie! Glad you and baby are doing well!

Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 3:26am
Such a cutie! I love the name. Sounds like he was just good and ready to come out.
 Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 3:28am

Congrats!!! What a doll!!! I can't believe how many babies already :) So exciting!!!

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages