Faith Veronica

iVillage Member
Faith Veronica
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 1:34am

Faith Veronica was (finally) born Friday, 4/20 at 3:42pm. Weighing 8lb 11oz, and 21 inches in length.

I woke up on Wednesday night at about midnight to the first regular contractions I've had this pregnancy. They were about 7 minutes apart and were really strong! Lasting about a minute. I finally got up about three thinking to myself ok they haven't slowed down, maybe they'll start to pick up soon. My husband got up and set up the tub, so we would be ready. I was debating on whether I should call the midwife, because they were pretty regular and strong, but they also hadn't gotten closer together. I decided to wait a little longer and see what they were going to do. About 4 am they backed off and went away. Part of me was bummed, because if I have to be up all night with contractions shouldn't I have a baby? But the other half of me was relieved because I was so tired and I wanted to sleep.

Thursday all day I had nothing. Thankfully my mom came and got our other kids about noon and I was able to nap. We all seemed to think that something would happen again that night. So the kids spent the night at my mom's, and my midwife even decided to stay in town that night (she lives about 1 1/2 hrs away) thinking that something was likely to happen. Thursday night I woke up this time about 1 am with the same thing. Strong contractions that were about every 10 minutes apart. I labored for a few hours, waiting to see what they would do. Sure enough about 4am they died off again.

Come morning, I told my hubby he might as well go to work because it doesn't look like anything is going to happen. I called my midwife and had her stop buy to check me on her way home because I was getting real tired of this and I guess I needed to know that at least I made a little progress. I was at a four. Not too bad I guess, at least it wasn't a two!

I tried to go lay down and get some sleep, but every time I would almost be asleep someone would call wondering and wake me up. Then about 10am I started to get contractions again. This time about every 15 minutes. I layed there for a while and finally got up because I sure wasn't sleeping! At noon I called my hubby because even though the contractions were the same, emotionally I was starting to unravel. He didn't even ask, he just said I'm comming home. Then I called the midwife to let her know that the contractions had started again. She asked how far apart they were, I told her I didn't really know because I hadn't been timing them, but that I thought about every 15 minutes. She told me to time them for 15 minutes and then call her back. I was surprised to discover they were every 6-7 minutes. I called her back and she said "I'm comming in."

My hubby asked if I wanted him to fill up the pool, I said no thinking I still had a long haul, but he knew better and did it anyways. My midwife arrived at 2 and my hubby convinced me to get in the tub at that point. (it's not that I didn't want to get in, I was just still thinking at this point that I still had hours left, and I didn't want to be in the pool that long simply because you can't exactly lay down in water and I was so tired.) The contractions soon increased in the pain department, but maintained being 6-7 minutes apart. At this point I really started getting discouraged/kinda panicked because i can hardly stand it and yet I'm thinking I still have a while because they are not closer together. ( I should mention here that this labor/birth was much harder for me mentally and emotionally, even before it started, because our last baby passed away shortly after he was born.) Before I know it the contractions all of a sudden are on top of one another and soon I am pushing. After 6-7 contractions of pushing Faith finally made her way into this world at 3:42 pm. She had the cord around her neck once, but she looked great. After a few seconds she let out the cutest little cry.

She is nursing great, and so far has been such a good/easy baby. She is so sweet, and the cutest thing ever! I am loving every minute! I definately cherish it much more this time, even though it is bittersweet.

Her name, Faith, has a special meaning to us and has a story of it's own. Veronica is a family name from both my, as well as my husband's family.

Her name story:

Almost six years ago now, I was pregnant with our second when my dad passed away. A couple of days before he died I was in his room (he was in pretty bad shape at this point) and he looked at me and said "Faith" I'm not sure what he was trying to say, but that ended up being the last word he ever spoke. The next day I told my husband about it and said, "if this baby is a girl what do you think about naming her Faith?" and from then on it was decided. Well our second ended up being a boy so we didn't use the name. Fast forward four years and we are excitedly expecting our fourth child. (number three was a girl and for reasons I can't explain we decided to name her Amelia after my dad's mom who was still alive at the time, instead of Faith. I think maybe my soul "knew" that she would not live to see another great granddaughter born, and having a great grandchild named after her meant the world to her. My grandma passed away last year) Well as you already know our fourth child, our second son, died shortly after birth. We did not know there was anything wrong before hand, and for this we are so greatful! We got to enjoy every minute we had with him, even though most of those were in utero. After experiencing his loss, you literally feel like you have nothing left, life is empty, except for one thing. For us it was Faith. I remember saying "I have to have Faith, because if I don't then I have nothing." And so that word, that name, meant even more to us. I will forever miss and love my son, and I don't like to say I've moved on, because I haven't, but I've kept going, and I not only do it for my kids who are here, but I do it for him. And now, she's here, she's proof that even though there are times in life where living doesn't seem worth it, you can keep going. Life can take a lot away from you, but there is one thing it cannot take, and that is Faith.

Julie

(sorry that ended up being way longer then I thought!)

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 4:35pm
what a beautiful story! Welcome to the world Faith! congratulations!!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 4:12pm

Hey thanks everyone for the congrats.

I couldn't agree more Chris! We are so glad that she is finally here and that the waiting is finally over. She definately kept us on our toes! I was just so happy on friday that I wouldn't have to endure another night of labor! It was quite kind of her to come in the afternoon!

I love reading all the birth stories, and am anxiously waiting for the rest of the April babies to arrive.

I'm so glad that I could share the story of Faith with you all. It brings me joy!

Hopefully I'll be able to post a pic soon.

Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 3:58pm

What a neat story! I'm glad your sil didn't abort as well! I'm sure their little Faith brings them so much joy!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 3:54pm
Thanks! Congratulations on your september baby! Yeah It's funny how people confuse those names. We've already had people do that. I guess maybe because they both start with V and they're not that common? I don't know, thats my guess.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 3:29pm

Congratulations! Your story had me in tears. I loved reading the history behind her name. I think it is beautiful!

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 8:22pm

Congrats on baby Faith. I love the story behind her name !

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 7:33pm

Congratulations! I was sitting there crying my eyes out when I read your story. I am so glad that you got your little Faith.

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 6:25pm
Congratulations!
Beautiful story.

My sil went into her 20 week ultrasound and told her dd had spinabifidia. They told her she could abort her baby. She of course didn't!! And went on ti have a beautiful little girl. She is smart...walks....and you wouldn't have a clue she has it.
She is named faith.
Because sometimes that's all you need is a little faith!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 3:05pm
Oh Julie I got teary reading that. What a beautiful and moving name story.

Little Faith certainly kept you on your toes with the bouts of labour that didn't lead anywhere! I am glad she finally decided to make her arrival and end your waiting!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 1:53pm
Congrats!! What a beautiful story!!
Photobucket

Pages