Levi James - his early and sudden arrival.

iVillage Member
Levi James - his early and sudden arrival.
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 10:09am

What a crazy week this has been - but I won't be complaining at all!!

On Tuesday morning I had made THIS POST about some of the passing symptoms I was having and not being concerned about them but wondering if I should be. After posting, I did decide to call my doctor just to see if maybe she wanted to check on things or not. They asked if I was in labor. I said no way, I don't feel like that at all. They did send me to L&D to get checked and monitor the baby and see what was going on. I gathered up Lucas and my mom to help with him and headed up there about 12:30. James was out of town and not due back until 3:30 or so. I totally went in there with accepting some minor cervical change and having to wait out the next 3--4 weeks. Believe me when I was totally dumfounded when they said I was 3cm!! Well, no wonder there was some bleeding. They did an ultrasound to make sure there wasn't bleeding from anywhere else and to check on the baby to make sure he was still looking good. He was! They sent me home with the usual instructions and to wait it out.

I got home at 3:30, just as James (who was frantic the whole day because he hates NOT being there at times like that) was coming up the driveway too. We sat and chatted some and I had a few contractions but nothing major or consistent. Until about 5pm while I was fixing dinner. I was noticing them enough to break out the contraction counter app on my phone. I was shocked to see them actually coming about 4-7 but mostly about 5 minutes apart when I actually paid attention. I felt fine otherwise. We ate dinner, I laid down, I was sure things would just stop once I did. At 8pm I called L&D to tell them I was in earlier in the day but contractions were regular at 4-7 minutes for the last 3 hours and I was only 36 weeks. They told me to wait for intensity and or closer together. James and I talked some more - we were TOTALLY unprepared (even moreso in hindsight) to have the baby that night so we needed to plan right then or to hope things stop and risk having to fly out of the house last minute in the middle of the night. We opted for now. I got my mom over and the kids prepared. I still hadn't given my mom the rundown on things since we were sure we had more time, so I was doing that while packing bags and bouncing on the ball because intensity surely was building.

By 9pm, James was done getting the car seat installed and Lucas' moved to my mom's car and was doing a few other things and getting ready to shower. It was then that I felt I needed to rush him and we better go NOW. We were both getting to the panic point I think but trying not to freak out except internally. We were backing out of the driveway at 9:30pm. It was a terrifying ride across town to the hospital. I have never felt such crazy pain, so fast and sudden. I'm sure people in other cars were freaking out at me freaking out! LOL James was so worried about me but trying to drive fast without speeding and avoiding bumps and things. I know he was frantic, he's just that way - but he was awesome at holding it all together. I even contemplated going to the ER since we could drive right in instead of parking ramp then walking to L&D but I felt dumb about the ER and leaving James to park and whatnot. So he dropped me at the entryway - of course all comedy would have it that he couldn't get the wheelchair to open. He did, he parked, he ran back in with just the camera as I instructed, and we started to go. Me howling away, people looking at me like I'm crazy, me hoping my water doesn't burst all over everything while I was certain I was transitioning because my body was seriously shaking. I was trying to be calm, James was wheeling as fast as he could, only to get stopped up by stupid elevators that don't run properly! We finally made it up to L&D and they got me in a triage room right away. It was 9:50pm (thought felt hours later) and I was at 4cm and 100%.

I was previously not planning on an epidural, they freak me out, but when I asked I said YES!! The pain was so crazy. I delivered 3 babies with no epidural and made it just fine. This was so different. They called my doc, got me to a room and an influx of 4+ nurses were in my room - filling out paperwork, getting vitals, starting an IV, calling for the epi, etc. James was so wide eyed and I was contracting so much. They checked me again at 10:20pm and I was 6cm! They did an intrathecal epidural - further into the space, faster acting but shorter duration. It worked SO FAST and I seriously felt NOTHING after that. My legs were so numb and heavy and I was definitely in nervous lala land. My doc arrived, just as shocked and surprised as I was, and was getting everything set for delivery. Serioulsy, it was only 10:50pm when she checked me again and I was at 8cm! My water still hadn't broke. She waited a few more minutes to get things set up and ready and then broke my water. A few more minutes went by and she checked me again and I was 10cm and ready to push! What? Ready to push? I feel nothing, how can I push? How did all of this happen so fast? The first contraction, 2 ineffective pushes, I couldn't feel anything. The next contraction - head out. What?! Head out?!! No crowning burn?! heck yeah that was awesome but how could I not feel the crowning?!! Next push, baby born - 11:11pm! No joke!!

So at 36 weeks and 2 days, Levi James was born weighing in at 6 pounds 1 ounce and 18 inches long. He was checked for respiratory issues and was just fine, he was back in with me in no time.

We are uncertain why he came so early, all of my other babies were term. There were no signs of anything to pinpoint other than we think he was just wanting to get out of there! Ha! My doctor says that being the 5th baby, my body just knew what to do, even if it wasn't the best timing. We're just so thankful that he's healthy and that we didn't need a NICU stay. He's so super small to me but so adorable!

Now, a week later, we have found out that he was Coombs+ so his billirubin spiked and we were back in the hospital overnight after being discharged 2 days after his birth. He got a day and a half of photo therapy which went so well, not all the heel poking and incompetent people, but the lights brought

sig2-sm

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 11:23am
Wow what an intense and unexpected birth! I am glad he is doing great and I can't wait to see pics!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 12:34pm
Wow, that is pretty intense. I would freak out, too. Glad he is here and is healthy, though! Congratulations! :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 2:17pm
Wow - crazy (but good) birth story. Glad he is all healthy and jaundice issues are going away! Congrats again!!!

Sarah

Lily Jane 4/6/05

Stella Mae 11/29/06

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 4:07pm
That sounds actually like a great birth to me! The ones I've pushed a couple times I feel great aftwards....
How are you feeling otherwise?

Congratulations on little Levi! !! ;)
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 5:42pm
Congratulations! That is wonderful news. I hope things settle down soon and you can get into the swing of things. I'm 36 weeks and 2 days today, so your post really made me think about all the stuff I have to get done.

Can't wait to see pics.
 Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 8:27pm
That was a crazy birth story! I can't believe he came so unexpectedly early, but thank goodness he was able to go right back with you quickly. I hope your level check comes back good this time. I know it can be such a hassle with a new born. I can't fathom how you're juggling it all when it was not something you were prepared for.Take your time coming back!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 1:32am
Great story! Can't wait to see pics. Good luck balancing your busy life and getting adjusted, glad you and baby are doing good!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 11:17am
Wow! What a birth story! I'm so glad to hear that he is doing well. Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy! Welcome to the world, Levi!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 8:58pm
Congrats! What a surprise, but I'm glad that he's doing well.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-29-2012 - 12:29am
Wow, what a crazy birth story! Sounds like Levi definitely had his mind made up it was his time to come. He was a real healthy weight at birth too. So glad the light therapy helped him out. Would love to see pics! Congratulations!
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages