Tobi Erin has arrived!! ***UPDATED w/ Birth Story*** (in comments)

iVillage Member
Tobi Erin has arrived!! ***UPDATED w/ Birth Story*** (in comments)
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 12:34pm

Tobi could not wait to come into the world... 3:19 am she came barging into the world! All 8lb 12oz of her! 20 3/4 inches with a 14 inch head. She's in the nicu. I will post pics & birth story later.

Brandie Lilypie - Personal picture

Pages

iVillage Member
Congrats on your beautiful little girl! Sounds like she certainly made a memorable entrance into the world.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
oh my goodness! Welcome miss Tobi! I'm a bit out of the loop on the board but I hope you're home and doing great!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Wow, sounds like a crazy situation, but glad she arrived with great scores. I hope the pumping increases your supply so nursing will be possible. I can imagine how hectic it would be. Congratulations!

Our hospital has the triage area, too. Not sure what it's like, this will be a new experience for me. I have been in this one before to have my gall bladder removed, so it was a totally different floor. I'm sure it's the same situation....the determine how your labor is doing before they admit you.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I hope she goes home with you then. It's good to hear she was quite hale and hearty upon arrival. That would have freaked me out to have my water break like that but it sounds like you handled it smoothly :) our hospital also has the triage area pre admittance, which I tend to think is terribly uncomfortable.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member

Last Thursday, March 15th, I had my scheduled BPP and dr decided to do a growth scan as well. All looked good, as we already knew, we knew she was going to be big. They guesstimated about 8lbs. I had been having pains that I THOUGHT might be contractions but since I never experienced contractions before water breakage, I didn't know what to think. Dr checked me and I was 3cm & 70%. He figured I'd go sometime in the next week. Little did he know..

Couple hours later (about 6pm), I was sitting a our shop & was fixing to go to walmart to get things that Jacob needed to go on his campout with his boy scout troop that weekend. Chris left with Jacob to get other stuff not food related. As soon as I stood up, my water gushed. I immediately called Chris who was less than 2 blocks away from the shop and told him my water just broke. Our bags were all packed but at home. So instead of getting what he needed to, he went home, got the bags & stopped back by the shop to get me and the girls. Meanwhile he called friends of ours who met us at the hospital to get the kids.

Get here, get up to L&D and they have little triage rooms in L&D to determine if you really are in labor or not.. Kinda stupid if you ask me.. The got out test strips to "make sure" that my water did actually break and I didn't just pee myself. Then was put on monitors til the dr arrived - he was down in ER. TWO hours later he arrived, said that I was in deed in labor and got me signed in. It was nearly 9pm by the time I got into a room. IV put in, antibiotics started as they didn't know my status of the GBS (was tested just earlier that day).

I was left to labor, did fairly calmly until about 2:45am when the contractions were one on top of each other. Called the nurse in, she checked and I was still 3cm & about 90%. Got re-positioned and she wanted me to wait 30 mins to see where we were. Not even 10 min later, I had Chris push the call button as I couldn't breathe between contractions, there was NO BREAK. She checked me again and I was 6cm & just a lip left. She turned to call the dr and drug dr and not even a minute later, I told her I had to push. She told me to try to NOT but I couldn't.. I tried but couldn't stop. She dragged in the labor tray cart thing. Next thing I knew, it was a big time burning sensation and one push the dr was there and her head was out. I was still on my side, dr had Chris grab my leg and pull me over on my back. Soon as I did that, one more push and her body flew out.

March 16, 2012
3:19am
8lb 12oz
20 3/4" length
14" head

Tobi was taken to the resuscitation room. Apgars were 8 & 9. I got to see her a few before she was taken to NICU. Chris followed her there. Poor baby, she was SO BRUISED (and still is a little). Chris came back & told me her stats and said she had a little fluid in her lungs but she was doing good. About an hour later, after a shower, I got to go see her.

Sunday I was discharged, I went to walmart to get some snack foods for NICU and to get my RX filled. And get my van (at shop) and went back to NICU.

With the help of great friends, I have been able to be here at the hospital a LOT. Monday I dropped Sophie off at kinder and came here, was here til about 9pm. Friends of ours picked up the kids from school and took them to Chris. Tuesday (the same as Monday), Wed & Thur we had SNOW and school was cancelled so Chris brought me to the hospital and took kids with him.

Tobi has been doing good. She had jaundice (as expected) and just came off the bilights today. I've been pumping but I just can't pump very much milk. I average about 40cc's out of both breasts combined. We have been mixing with donor milk but in order to get her home, we have to wean off the donor milk and onto a mix of formula and MY milk. I am totally confident that I can make nursing work when I can do it on my own. Not follow a schedual like the NICU. I have done it before, I can do it now. And the dr thinks that too.

The plan is I will room-in tomorrow night & she comes home Saturday but we will see what happens.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 4:05pm
Hmmm, I checked and I didn't have any friend requests pending..
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 8:37pm
I put a friend request in loooong ago......and um...ya so I can't put another in. :(
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 6:41pm
Oh might wanna know what to search for right? Brandie Flaherty is the name and the profile pic is of Tobi with cover over her eyes with eyes drawn on them
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 6:37pm
Thank you everyone! She is doing good but still in the NICU but we are aiming for Saturday discharge. I've got lots of pictures up on Facebook but I can't share on here as I'm doing all with my phone. If you can find me on Facebook, send friend request & I will get it and add you.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 10:50am

Congrats! I hope everything goes

Pages