#20 for the Duggars!

iVillage Member
#20 for the Duggars!
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 8:56am
sig2-sm

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 9:13am
I love their show too and I'm very happy for them! It's not like they can't afford to support the family they have. They make smart choices when it comes to spending and are probably better off financially then most people are with just one or two kids.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 9:48am

Ive actually never seen their show but I have no problem with the Duggar family or their decision to have a super size fam. I had a boyfriend when I was in highschool whose parents believed the same thing and he was the 2nd oldest of 10. and my BFF believes in leaving it up to God and she is a mom of 9 (at 34yrs old) right now and expecting to get PG again in the near future (not that she is trying but just knows it's around the time that she normally does, since she doesnt prevent).

I wont use hormone based birth controls and am not a fan of condoms so we are of the mindset that we will have our kids until we are done and then find a permanent solution (DH being snipped, more than likely). We wont be having unlimited children but I def can understand and see where those families are coming from. I'm in a large familes group on FB too (not that I have such a large fam but bc we dont prevent and I have friends in the group) and they are all wonderful families with huge hearts there.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 9:52am
I love the Duggars! I think they do a great job raising productive kids. I am completely at odds with their religious beliefs, but I have no problem with that considering they're presumably raising respectful, happy, healthy kids. I say the more the merrier if you can afford it/ keep your sanity. She is always pregnant when I'm pregnant, but I guess you'd have to be to have that many kids!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 10:06am

I've only ever caught bits and pieces of their show. Honestly I don't see any problems with it. I would love to have a large family myself. Growing up my parents divorced when I was 4 and we didn't see my dad much and didn't get to know that side of the family. My mom came here from Korea after both of her parents died and she had an estranged relationship with her half brothers and therefore I did not get to know them either. My "real" dad, I don't like the term stepdad for the man who raised me, has family that we saw on occassion but he was the black sheep and therefore we did not form a strong bond with them. So that just leaves me, my parents, and my two brothers. My oldest brother has sort of branched off into a different universe and so the relationship there is minimal. My younger brother and I have a pretty good relationship and I get to see my nephews about once a month.

My husband on the other hand had a large family on his dad's side of the family. His dad was one of twelve children. My husband has so many aunts, uncles, and cousins and they are all fairly close knit. It's awesome. I am always reminding my children that they will be all each other has once my dh and I have to leave this Earth and how it is important to keep their relationship with each other sacred.

If I could I would have 20 kids + as well. I just love children. They are such a precious gift. I say if you can support them with unconditional love, provide them with food and shelter, and strive to be a great parent then have as many as you want!

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 10:20am

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 10:51am

The only problem I have with it is that the

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 11:53am
Yes I personally don't agree with the Duggars beliefs but I have no problem with the number of kids they have. I actually find it bizarre that people care enough to be so hateful. Why not direct your anger towards more important issues like child poverty, abuse etc. instead of directing it at someone having their 20th child that they take care of and love. All of the controvery just seems so weird to me. Of course I am having my 6th so I'm probably a weirdo too ;)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 3:25pm
I think it's great. I'd love to be that organized one day! We're kind of in the same mindset as they are, we don't use hormonal birth control, and we're pretty much leaving it up to God how many kids we get-my husband is an extremely devout Catholic. Our April baby will be our third, and the oldest won't even be 2 1/2. My husband was 11th in a family of 13 and I was the oldest of 5. I think it's nice to have a big family, especially since the Duggars seem to really take care of their kids. And I have to say the the person that posted above-all I ever wanted to be was a mother, I never really planned on anything else!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 5:35pm
plaid_scarf11 wrote:
I think it's great. I'd love to be that organized one day! We're kind of in the same mindset as they are, we don't use hormonal birth control, and we're pretty much leaving it up to God how many kids we get-my husband is an extremely devout Catholic. Our April baby will be our third, and the oldest won't even be 2 1/2. My husband was 11th in a family of 13 and I was the oldest of 5. I think it's nice to have a big family, especially since the Duggars seem to really take care of their kids. And I have to say the the person that posted above-all I ever wanted to be was a mother, I never really planned on anything else!

I am not the PP but I don't think it is wrong to want to be a mother but to have it be your only choice is wrong. It shouldn't be expected that the girls will all just grow up to be a mom. Great if they want to be but they should have the choice to go to college just like the boys do.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 2:07pm
I think maybe it's all about teaching the kids that they have value, and for everyone their purpose in life may be different. I don't think it's a bad thing, per say, to instill in your girls the desire to be a mother. I think that is one sad thing about our society today--people consider the stay at home mom to be a lackluster individual. Lazy. Perhaps too privileged. I caught so much flack from friends and a few extended family members for wanting to marry and have children young. I still got my degrees, and honestly do not see what the big deal was. I think the Duggar girls, from what I've seen, get plenty of opportunity and have desires outside of parenthood. If not, I think they'd be getting married by now since some are in their 20s. Their son wasted no time getting married and setting out to be a dad. I don't think it is really a one way street in that family.

Photobucket<

Pages