Anyone Stocking up on Diapers?

iVillage Member
Anyone Stocking up on Diapers?
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 8:42am
We have decided to buy diapers every time we do our bi-weekly grocery shop. I also plan on using some windfall money coming to buy even more. We have a pack of newborn size and three packs of size one so far as well as four packs of baby wipes. It's been four years since my youngest was a baby and I can't remember which size diaper we used the most.

Does anyone have tips for first timers (or those of us who can't remember) on which sizes to stock up on most/least? Tips on buying diapers for less money? Or any other ideas to share?

Karen

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 1:47pm
It was tough for me the first time around. I didn't stock up, but I got A LOT of diapers as gifts and a lot of newborn swaddlers and size 1. My son only fit size 1 for maybe a week, then went into size 2 almost immediately. I ended up giving the smaller ones away to my sister in law when they had their son, but it was kind of irritating. This time around, probably starting next month, I am going to buy a box of diapers from Costco: size 2 next month, size 3 the following, size 4 the next, then repeat that for another three months. By that point, I think I'll have an idea on size and if I think I will need a size 1, I will buy a box. My mom is going to do a diaper shower/meet the baby after he/she is born, so I expect to get a lot of diapers there, too.

I remember I went through a ton of 2s and 3s with my son, but those were the first two sizes he had. By the time he was in 4s, we only had him in for a little while before we started using pull ups.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 2:11pm
I've heard from my SIL that amazon is a cheap way to buy diapers, believe it or not. I've got no experience with that personally though. I was also going to chime in and say that I used very, very few size 1 diapers. We were up and out of that size quite quickly. I used many newborn diapers mostly because they are so unused to being in their own refuse that they cry at the slightest wetting or pooping. Also changing the diaper was a good way to wake a sleepy baby. Size 2 we used for a good bit. Sorry I can't help out more! We've been in cloth diapers with DS2 and got into them around 11 months with DS1. It's been a minute since I've had to buy diapers for constant use.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 2:12pm
We started stocking up as well. We did this with out DD and it was great, we didnt have to buy any diapers till she was 8 months old. I got 1 bag of new born size, and 1 box of size one. I will be getting the boxes from costco now, which are size 1-2. i would say get a couple of bags of size 2 and up. I didnt use the size 1s all that much either.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 3:55pm
We are just adding to a wal mart gift card every time I shop. That is our primary shopping location, so we will be purchasing formula and diapers from there. We don't really have the storage capacity and with my first, I got a lot of Huggies, but ended up using Pampers so I had to make a $250 return without a receipt for diapers after he was born. A lot of people recommend the extra savings account, but I don't like to pull from savings even knowing that is what it's for.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 4:18pm
I agree. I dislike pulling anything from savings. I think the gift card idea works well if you know where you will shop and stocking ahead works well if you have room.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 5:40pm
We did this with DD and it worked out great! I just had a feeling I wasn't going to need any newborn diapers and we didn't use them at all. I think we only used 2 cases of size 1 before she was in size 2 and used 2 or 3 cases of size 2 before we went on to size 3. I still have 2 cases of size 4 in my basement since she hasn't needed them yet. She's been in 3s for quite some time now.

We just bought our 1st case of size 1 for this LO today. I will only buy Luvs and when I have a coupon from BJ's. Lately they haven't been putting one in the monthly coupon books. I'm hoping they start back up again soon so I can stock up.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 6:20pm
I really like the gift card idea! I am wary of stocking up because I have had one child react violently to my favourite brand of diapers and it was frustrating trying to exchange them for another brand. I also found that sizes are so variable to the baby. I have had one baby be in newborn for a whole month and another one only wear one package. Babies can grow rapidly and outgrow an entire size sometimes.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2011 - 9:33pm

Yes, yes, yes. I am on the tightest budget EVER when I am home for my 12 weeks after the baby is born. I scour the sales ads for Target and

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 12:52am
I can't remember exactly with the smaller sizes, but I def think my daughter has been using size 4 diapers for the longest amount of time. She is 21 months and weighs about 27lbs and I think she's been in size four since she was 22-23 lbs? So for at least the last 6 months that's the size she's been wearing.

The best deal on diapers is on Amazon. Sign up for Amazon Mom. Then do subscribe and save and get the diapers delievered to your door every 2-3 months (you pick how often you want them delievered). I just ordered a pack of 206 diapers for 31 dollars. If not online, Costco diapers and wipes have always worked for us and are a fairly good deal.
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 9:43am

my oldest DD was in NB's for about 3 wks and then in size 1 dipes for about 2 months- but she is a peanut! DD2 started out in size 1 and was in them for about... a month... month and a 1/2. She was 50th % for height and weight. Size 2's she was in for a good long while! maybe 3 months.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com

Pages