Baby position & delivery: What does your practice do?

iVillage Member
Baby position & delivery: What does your practice do?
Sun, 02-19-2012 - 11:35am

I see on a few posts that some of us are nervous about babies not turning. Is that because your practice won't deliver a breech baby? As far as you know, what is the philosophy behind baby position and delivery at your practice? I'm not too sure what my hospital will or won't do in relation to vaginal delivery if the baby is breech. I know they don't check via ultrasound when you get there what position the baby is in or anything so if you were in labor I assume they might feel a bit to check, though I'm not sure. With DS1 we were aware that he was 'sunny side up' but that didn't affect delivery options. They tried to turn him in utero a few times but he wouldn't have it. Out he came---face up! lol Cordelia has been head down this whole pregnancy so I will be mighty upset if she gets all turned funky and makes things complicated at the end!

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Our hospital policy is that all breech births need to be delivered by C-section. That being said I know there have been times during a fast birth when a breech has been born naturally here. My 4th was breech for awhile but he turned at around 37 weeks.

My midwife is really good with identifying the position of the baby and giving me positions to help get the baby into the optimum position before and during labour. My 4th was in a bit of a weird position but after some contractions in a different position he shifted and then was delivered very soon afterwards.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I wonder if there are any hospitals that don't do c-sections automatically for a breech birth position? I would hope that if it is a hospital's policy to do such, that they would at least offer to try an external version or something first.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member

So long the mothers birth canal is wide enough, it born

iVillage Member
Yes they do offer external version here. There is actually one older OB in our city who will deliver breech babies but because the hospital is against it it can be a bit tricky. It was offered to me as an option when my 4th baby was breech but thankfully I didn't have to make any tough decisions.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I'm thankful that my hospital isn't one that pushes for c-sections and you can certainly not elect to have one. BUT our docs get paid the same regardless of how they deliver the baby so maybe that is why.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Whew. Yeah it is a good thing you didn't have to try and make any tough choices. That would be a tricky one. It seems kind of crazy how much birthing babies has changed in the last few years. I even know many people who have never had a vaginal birth and have always wanted to have c-sections--if for nothing else because they didn't want things to get all stretched out down there. I'm always a little taken aback by that comment. I don't think I realized it had become a vanity thing with so many people. I guess you can always get your tummy tucked but not your lady bits lol

Photobucket<

iVillage Member

Last week when I was in L&D the Dr said that since Adam was breech we would have to do a C-Sect should I have to deliver that night. He said that before 37 weeks C-Section was the only option. After 37 weeks they would try the external version to try and get him to turn around. Apparently there is a risk with doing a version and before 37 weeks it is too dangerous.

I was a breech baby and so my mom had to deliver me feet first and apparently it was a complicated birth and there was a big chance I would have died. She never went into great detail about it but mentioned how hard it was to push me out because my arms got stuck and I was suffocating because of it.

I am worried about the chance that Adam will not turn around. I never had one of my girls head up at this point. I do not want a C Section. I really hope he turns around. He has been head up for a while now and sometimes he turns sideways a little with his head on the right and I think maybe he's going to turn but he always ends up going back to being head up.

I've heard that the external version only has a 50/50 chance of working and I hear that it can be quite painful. I've been trying the whole walk on all fours thing around the house and even tried putting something cold at the top of my stomach to get him to turn, all to no avail. They will just turn when they want to I guess.

I know there is still time and I haven't lost all hope. But if he is still head up at 36 weeks I will be really worried then. FX!!

Karen

iVillage Member
I don't think I've ever known anyone who has an external version, but I can imagine it would be painful. It was quite painful when they tried to flip my oldest into a face down position so I can't imagine causing a full turn. I also can understand why they wouldn't try an external version before full term. I would think they wouldn't want to stress a pre-term infant any more than necessary. Maybe he will just turn for you. I seem to hear a lot that they turn at the last moment. Keep up those tricks! haha I can't fathom crawling around on my hands and knees though. I don't think I could get back up.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
The Dr I last saw suggested getting on all fours. Says she did it and it worked for her. I don't think it will work but was willing to try. I gave up and figured I would leave it up to Adam to turn on his own. Figured its probably not the best thing to be doing when I am supposed to be on bed rest. I am just nervous he won't turn with the way this pregnancy has been going. I have heard of babies turning during labor...I just hope he doesn't make me wait that long.

Karen

iVillage Member
Whew! Can you imagine them turning during labor?! That would be one sensation I think I could do without. FX for you that he gets with the plan soon. :)

Photobucket<

Pages