Best Bottles for Breastfed Babies?

iVillage Member
Best Bottles for Breastfed Babies?
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 8:34pm

Ok, so I am determined this time to be able to get baby to take the bottle as well as the breast. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a bottle for breastfed babies? I exclusively fed from the breast last time and would like to share the responsibility of feedings with dh and my oldest dd this time around. I know they say some bottles have nipples that are more like the breast which may help get the baby take to them? Any advice?

Karen

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 8:59pm
My sister nursed and also used Avent bottles. I'll be doing the same.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:18pm
This is a really good question. Has anyone had any personal experience with success at BFing and the occasional bottle? DS2 wouldn't have anything to do with a bottle, ever. He was a breast baby and absolutely refused a bottle (never took one and it was a nightmare when we weaned getting him to drink anything for nearly a month. My SIL gave her daughter one bottle a day starting at only a few days old. Suddenly at 3 months she just refused the bottle anymore and is a breast-only baby too. I'm wondering how you make both work.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:44pm
I'm also planning to do both ( BF and pump) I got the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles. I have a few friends who did both with these and had great success

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4058127

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 10:39pm
I've read good things about these bottles, too. They started carrying them at Target and are slightly cheaper than BRU from what I found. I was surprised, but apparently my bottles that I had for DS 9 years ago have made their circuit around my siblings and my sister had all of them. The only thing we'll replace are the nipples, but better than purchasing brand new sets. So, I have bottles that worked great for DS. My sister was successful with both breast and bottle, but she held off on bottle until she went back to work after three months and started pumping more regularly for feeding while she was at work.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 12:06am

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I will definitely give these a try. I hope that we will be successful this time around. SIL said she waited a week after breastfeeding exclusively and then introduced the bottles and her boys both took to them. Not sure how everyone else does it.

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 2:46am

The longer you wait with bottles, the better for the baby is the idea here, also

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 11:23am
I've breastfed all of my babies and all of liked different bottles. My oldest would use anything, my middle never had a bottle ever, well once and she freaked out and my youngest liked the Breastflow ones. I've gotten some Born Free ones and Ventaire to try this time if I need to use bottles at all.