BF or FF? What are you planning?

iVillage Member
BF or FF? What are you planning?
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 12:38pm

Do you intend to breastfeed or formula feed this LO?

If you are breastfeeding, will you go to a class before birth? Will you pump for others to feed baby too? How do you feel about those vitamin D drops they insist on now?

If you are formula feeding, what brand to you hope to use? What kind of bottles do you think you'll try? How does everyone feel about this decision?

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 12:59pm

I plan to BF... and won't be taking Ortho Tricyclen Lo (which is NOT approved for BF).

Liz DD (4) & DS (EDD 4/30) Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 1:10pm
That stinks that something messed you up like that. So your plan is to go with the flow and feed as long as you can and your supply lasts? Your baby didn't mind being supplemented with formula? When was the first time you offered a bottle, if you don't mind my asking? I think the first time I tried with Ean was when he was 4 weeks old. We tried a few times after that but it was always the same result--major meltdowns and refusal to drink. My SIL started to pump and offer a bottle once or twice a day while her daughter was only a few days old. She also has no problem going back and forth. I don't know what happened with my little guy, but I don't want to repeat that! lol

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 1:11pm

I'll be BFing. I wont be attending any classes. I have been Bfing for the past 3 yrs straight and feel pretty confident, plus,. if there is an issue I have local IBCLC's on speed dial, since I work a lot with local Bfing moms.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 1:15pm
Your right, a lot of people do have the deficiencies. I know my parents both do. I've never checked to see if I do or not, but I wasn't going to choke my baby for it, ya know? Do you never feel really tied down or stuck in the house BFing solely? I wanted so badly to be able to give Ean a bottle so that I could get out and do more.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 1:50pm

I will definitely be BFing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 2:11pm
Great questions!!!

With my 1st I FF and with my last 4 I BF for anywhere from 6-11 months. I find BFing so much easier than FF because making and cleaning bottles is such a pain.

I plan to BF this time again. I know they say not to give the baby a bottle until 6 weeks but I have always introduced a bottle of pumped milk within the first week. Usually DH does one of the night feedings so I can get some extra sleep. We have always done it that way and so far it has worked well. He loves that special time with them in the night.

I try to give the vit D drops. I am starting to think vit D is really important for strengthening the immune system. I saw a naturopath who had me take some every day. Once the bottle was done after a few months I stopped and within a few days I got a terrible cold. I bought another bottle and was taking it consistently but then I forgot for a few days and sure enough I started coming down with a cold again. I took it again for a few weeks and skipped a few days to see what would happen and I started getting a cold again. It may have been a coincidence but it convinced me to make sure I take it. I also started giving my kids vitamin D drops in their milk at dinner every night and this is the healthiest fall we have ever had. I think I will try to be more consistent with giving the baby the drops since my last baby developed a cold when she was only a few weeks old and it lasted for a long time.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 4:27pm

Breastfeeding and

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 5:37pm

I plan to BF this baby til I'm able.

Sarah

Lily Jane 4/6/05

Stella Mae 11/29/06

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 6:21pm
I'm hoping to BF this time. With DD we had everything against us, bad latch, bad suck, reflux, inverted flat nipples (which nobody told me about until after I delivered DD) and eventually supply issues. It broke my heart to FF but it was what was best for everyone. I think I'm more prepared this time as to what to expect and the challenges I may face. As far at the vitamin D drops, we'll have to see how everything works out. If I end up pumping, then I'll put the drops in one of the bottles. When I FF DD I found Gerber worked best for her reflux and we used playtex airvent bottles.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 8:08pm
I'll be exclusivly pumping. I have a horrible time bf my DD and dont plan to repeat it again.
Photobucket

Pages