BTDT Ladies- What do you wish you had known about labor/delivery?

iVillage Member
BTDT Ladies- What do you wish you had known about labor/delivery?
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 8:51am

BTDT mamas, what do you wish you'd known about labor/delivery before you experienced it for the first time? Share here!

We asked our iVillage mamas to spill the dirt on their labor – and what they wish someone had clued them in on beforehand. Here’s their advice.

Take it From a New

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
I wish in general I'd realized there is no reward for holding out on pain meds. I exhausted myself trying to go without and by the time I got the epidural and the baby was here, I immediately fell asleep. Recovery was awful. I was exhausted. It wasn't worth it.

That being said, I also wish I'd realized how different each delivery could be. By the time I had my second I had no issue going without pain meds. You have to understand that your body will let you know what you should do--all the plans and ideas in the world aren't squat in L&D.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
For me how easily I could do it. Pregnancy is the hard part for me, labor and delivery and recovery are very easy for me.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Totally 100% agree with the pain medicine!!!! I waited until baby #7 to even try a epidural. I love medicines now. ;)
iVillage Member
For me, it was that even though I have my own ideas on how I think my L&D should go, I should always be open to anything. I wasn't opposed to meds, but I was freaked out and opposed to having a c/s. I "knew" my body could deliver my baby and I didn't even consider that maybe it couldn't. Up until they told me his weight in the OR did I even think I would have such a large baby and, to be honest, laboring and delivering him vaginally could have either caused serious complications for both of us and may have possibly killed him in the process.

With that, I also wish someone had told me that c/s recovery wouldn't be that bad. I was up and around in a few days and feeling great (minus the incision soreness) a week post op. I know not everyone has an easy c/s and recovery is a nightmare, but it really wasn't so bad for me. It just took patience and knowing my limits.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I wish I knew that the pushing was going to be the worst part! Every birth story I had read leading up to my first delivery described pushing being such a relief and how it was so great to be finally doing something. Maybe some people do feel that way but I have always found the pushing to be the most painful and exhausting part of the whole process.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I also took a big risk by trying to stick to my guns delivering my first. I had severe pre-e. It would have been better for me to get the epidural and bring my BP down but I insisted against it for 12 hours. I pushed for 3 hours and still didn't want a c-section when in reality I am very very very lucky that we all came out okay from that delivery. I was not very well informed about the risks I was taking by demanding not to deliver him via c-section. The doc finally vac assisted me and got him out, but if he hadn't been able to it would have been a serious emergency c section. That was a dumb risk I wouldn't take again.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
In addition to that part totally sucking, for lack of better word, who actually has immediate relief? I never feel like "Wow, it's all over now and I feel great!" I get the shakes, I keep having contractions to expel the placenta, then I start BFing and I have more contractions lol It's kind of awful actually.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
I get the shakes too....they get me warm blankets that do help. And I feel guilty but id rather have my hubby hold baby then me. I just wanna close my eyes and be left alone for abit. Its wierd but its how I am. After a little while im ready to function. I think its a shock thing.???
iVillage Member
I am the same way. DH does all initial baby holding. I fell asleep after having ds1 and after ds2 the shaking, pain, etc made it impossible for a while.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Oh im glad im not alone. Some want baby nursing right away....I just can't. Give me an hour and i'll try but not right away.
After my last c/sect they laid baby by me to move me to my postpartum room...and I still was like can't hubby take her. I don't think he could.

Pages