Cloth diapers?

iVillage Member
Cloth diapers?
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 10:42pm
Does anyone plan to use cloth diapers? For those with kids, have you used cloth previously? This will be my first baby, and I like the idea of cloth, but I'm not sure how realistic I'm being. I really hate the idea of all those diapers in landfills, but it seems alot more convenient for some situations. If you have used cloth before, opinions (and what type did you use)? Thanks for any help!
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 11:30pm
Well, well, well :: rubs hands together:: You've asked the right question! :) I think we have a few people on here who use cloth diapers. At my house, we started using cloth diapers when DS1 was about 8 months old and we haven't looked back. I started out using Bum Genius brand. I still love them and consider them one of my favorites--but I am partial to their velcro diapers and to be honest the velcro just doesn't hold up through repeat children. I branched out into Thirsties covers to use with prefolds. I like the thirsties covers but I am not a big fan of prefolds personally. I like the diapering situations where I am doing what I would do with a disposable and there isn't extra leg work involved with a squirmy baby. I've recently tried Kawaii diapers and have to admit I'm impressed. I like to try them all! :) I was under enthused with Fuzzi Bunz and had constant leaking with them, though I've always heard phenomenal things about them.

I find it depends a lot on your baby. Some babies are slim and x brand works better than y brand, or vice versa. It's awesome if you can find a cloth diapering store in your area to look at all the products. That was never an option for me when I was pregnant with DS1 so I went with the most highly recommended product and haven't been sorry. I love Bum Genius, but it got me addicted to where I branch out now.

I believe they are very easy to transition to in your day to day life. The only time we use disposables are when we travel to family's houses. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of you washing diapers in their washers. It saves you a lot of money, and in my experience helps protect against rashes that some babies with sensitive skin get from the chemicals in diapers.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 12:50am
I did cloth diapering for years with my 3 boys. I used pocket diapers (Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys) and it was a really great experience. I ended up stopping because I developed a severe skin condition on my hands and having to clean the diapers became difficult.

There was a WAHM in my area who would rent cloth diapers for people to try them out before buying. Maybe you could see if there is a service like that in your area.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 9:15am
What a great post! I was starting to look into it as well but never did it with my DD. Do you really save that much money? How many diapers should you be buying? and do you need different sizes as they grow?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 9:48am

we WERE cloth diapering but currently are not because our condo has a tiny tiny single sized person washer and dryer and I would have to do 2 loads of CD's per day (I have 2 kids in dipes) bc it fits so few in it and as it is, my washer is running all the freakint ime just to keep up with our regular laundry. We are suppose to move towards the end of this pregnancy so I am PRAYING we go somewhere with a normal size washer + dryer because we have the cloth dipes just sitting around waiting to be used again and I hate the sposies. So, for us... hopefully we will be back in cloth around the time this baby is due. *fingers crossed*

oh, and we have a mix of types. We have the bumgenius One size, which are VERY easy to learn with. I loved them when I had DD1. Now I also have some prefolds with covers, which have a bit more of a learning curve but are cool bc you dont need to change the cover everytime, just the liner, when they just pee some.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 9:57am

oh, and if I were just deciding to try now or needed to invest again into dipes- I would get the bum genius One Size with snaps! The snaps lasts so much longer than the velcro but the beauty of BG one size dipes- you never need new dipes again! You buy them once... and youa re done... because they grow with the baby. They have different size settings. The only thing you may have to one day invest in is some more absorbant liners for it once they become toddlers but that's not a biggie and you have time. But they are so easy to learn with.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 3:40pm

I have never used cloth but I am planning on it for this baby. So far I have 2doz med prefolds (expecting a larger baby so these should fit ok fairly quickly), 2 fitteds, and a few random covers. I am planning on getting some pockets and maybe and AIO or 2 after I find out the sex of the baby. It is amazing how much is out there for cloth. I am trying to get my mom understand it isn't the same as it was 30years ago lol

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 9:07pm
Thanks everyone! I will definitely check out diaperswappers and the bum genius brand. I'd appreciate links/other sites to check out as well. I'm not really worried about the amount of laundry, we don't do a lot right now so I'm sure I can handle the baby's and diapers too. Luckily we have a full size washer/dryer.
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 9:30pm
I agree with Bess that at the beginning I wasn't able to use the CDs either until they got to a certain size. I know there is a store near me where I can rent newborn diapers for a 6 week period, then bring them back to the store for a credit towards buying diapers if I'd like. I don't know how much I would like to deal with the diaper wash in those first few weeks though. I'm usually so exhausted at first. Regardless, snaps definitely last better. I have a few BG snaps and I've got to say that while they work, there are other diapers out there that have a better snap design. The Kawaii diapers I mentioned (and I think my GoGreen diaper) have an extra snap along the bottom at the side that helps hold the diaper. I wish the BG snaps had that extra one because they would fit better and be easier to put on. My BG with velcro I had to replace the velcro on before DS2 was born and after 17 months it is worn down quite a bit again already. I might have to use these as back ups for baby #3 and get some snap ones to replenish the loss. I also think that a stash of around 20 makes it where you can do the wash every other day. With DS1 I only had about a dozen and did fine, but DS2 is a heavier wetter and requires more changes than DS1 did.

Photobucket<