Diaper bags?

iVillage Member
Diaper bags?
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 12:35am
So what all do you ladies keep in your diaper bag for a newborn? My SO talked me into getting this HUGE bag because he thinks I'm going to need all this stuff, but I think I can fit it in a smaller one (like a large purse sized one). So I still have the tags on it, and I'll probably exchange it. I'll be using a regular purse, not an actual diaper bag. Also, does anything live in your diaper bag that you never use?
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 1:06am

For my diaper bag I usually have:

Diapers

Wipes

Diaper Rash Cream

Extra Clothes

Burp Cloth

Breastfeeding Cover Up

Changing Pad

I can't think of anything else that I put in there. I am going to try and get Adam to drink breast milk from a bottle too so I may just pack a bottle or two of breast milk in the bag as well. When he gets old enough for snacks I will pack some. I don't think you really need much else.

Karen

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 7:58am
Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, small blanket (can be used as a cover well nursing, to keep baby warm or to keep wind or rain off of baby), a swaddle, and anything I carry in my purse.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:03am
I do the big purse thing too. I got a nice large coach purse, with 3 different separations in it. I keep dapers, wipes, diaper cream, extra clothes, a blanket and i think thats it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 10:37am
I don't ever carry a diaper bag, per say. I usually just use one of my larger purses and stuff in a small thing of wipes, a diaper or two, and a small set of extra clothes. I hate to carry a whole extra bag.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 11:49am
I usually keep my diaper bag in the car. I don't lug it to many places. And as I use stuff I replace it.
I agree with other people and what they put in theirs. I might include a plastic bag for poopie clothes and one for dirty diapers. A toy (older baby). Hand sanitizer. Water bottle for me.....
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 1:01pm
I have diapers, wipes, a change of clothes (or two, depending on length of trip), aspirator, wash cloth in a baggie, a cloth diaper for burping, lotion, and changing pad. I didn't buy a huge bag this time, it's a little bigger than my purse and I will use it in lieu of my purse when I go out because I'd rather not carry two bags. I only see the use of huge diaper bags for trips, but even then, I can use a duffle bag for clothes and blankets. We do keep a blanket in the car all the time. As I find I need things, I'll add them, but I don't imagine I'll need to pack like I'm moving houses every time I need to run to the grocery store. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 1:38pm
That's exactly how I feel, that I don't need to bring the whole house with me every time I go somewhere! Plus I'll probably keep a couple of "just in case" things in the car at all times, but not alot since I hate clutter. And I don't plan on carrying a diaper bag AND a purse, I don't usually keep much in my current purse anyway so I won't be adding a suitcase of personal stuff to the diaper bag. The current bag my SO had me get is the size of a small suitcase, there's no way it would even fit in the decent-sized basket under my stroller! Seems like my instincts were right after all, thanks everyone for the responses! Now I just need to find the perfect bag...
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 3:18pm
I keep a full and large diaper bag in my car at all times, but depending on what I'm doing outside of the car, I typically just take a diaper or two and some wipes in my purse. It varies through the stages what I keep in the diaper bag.

For a newborn typically:

diapers, wipes, diaper cream, nursing pads, 2 receiving blankets, change of clothes (usually a onsie and jammies which is all my newborns wear anyway), paci, kleenexes, burp cloth, washcloth, hat, pads for mama in those first weeks, and a clean shirt too - nursing leaks sometimes! :)
sig2-sm