Do you try to speed up labor?

iVillage Member
Do you try to speed up labor?
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 1:07pm

As some of us are getting incredibly close to full term (yay!!) I figured I would ask if any of you have any tricks you like to do to speed up labor? Do you walk for miles, DTD like a bunny, take any herbal supplements, or would you rather just let it happen on its own?

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 1:14pm

With my third when I was a week away from my due date I started trying to get things going. I was done being pregnant, full term, everything healthy. So I read up online about different "old wives tales" that supposedly helped.

I tried: raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, sex, walking, and even jumping down stairs (thinking gravity may help, lol). Nothing worked, she did not want to come out. I went two days overdue and sure it would of went longer (wasn't dilated at all, no bh, nothing) but my dr was kind and scheduled me to be induced two days after my due date.

I think the baby is just going to come when they want to come. I am realizing that the whole trying to get the baby to flip thing is just as useless. He will flip when he wants to, and hopefully he will want to, but I've decided not to stress about it and trust that things will happen on their own.

Karen

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 1:20pm
I tend to agree with you. I think it's all about how baby wants things to happen. I was in such bad pain with my 2nd due to my back that I tried the Evening Primrose Oil capsules starting right before I was 37 weeks. I knew I was already effaced a good bit and dilated some. I tried to walk a little bit, but that was severely impeded by my back. I don't know if it ended up helping or not. I was admitted to the hospital at 37 weeks even and delivered at 37 weeks, 1 day. However, that's a similar time frame as to when I had DS1 and I didn't do anything at all to get labor moving with him. I sort of feel like this baby might be later than the boys--maybe 38-39 weeks.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 1:31pm

You know maybe there is some hope this time as things got started early. I sure hope so. I am done being pg. I am hoping I can go a week early at least (39 weeks) to give my mom more time to spend with the baby before she has to leave and with it being Spring Break here in Oregon and the girls could be home without missing any school. I know some people said drinking Castor Oil supposedly helps but there is no way I would take it that far, lol. I think I have heard about those capsules too. I might have to give them a try if need be. :)

Karen

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 1:33pm
Oh yeah, I heard awful things about the castor oil! Everyone I knew that tried it ended up sick from it--bleh. I didn't have any problems with the EPO other than the fact that it was kind of messy since it was suggested that you insert them. I remember my evening potty breaks being quite oily lol I hope you end up getting good timing. I know it's rough when you are working around family schedules too.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 3:51pm
Since all of my babies have been overdue I have tried a variety of things... probably almost everything out there LOL. The only thing that I felt was a bit effective was acupuncture but I didn't get it done until I was already showing signs of early labour so I think that is why it worked. I think these natural remedies will help if the baby was ready to come out in the next day or two anyway but I think they do nothing if the baby isn't ready. Even some of the medical inductions won't work if the baby isn't ready.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 3:57pm
I've done it ALL....and I can say from experience it does NOT work.....for me. I mean anything!
I did castor oil to work but after hearing the it can give you such horrid contraction (true ) it can separate the placenta...Idk but that ended that!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 4:29pm
Ooohhh yuck. I'm telling you, I've heard enough about that castor oil to keep me away from it for life.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 4:37pm

Nah, they do not work and can do harm, babies come when they want too, when they are ready and also

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 5:07pm

I drink Red raspberry tea leaf. And I use evening prime rose to help ripen my cervix. Usually around 36 weeks I walk my butt off. I drank castor oil with my first and it worked but was awful! DS # 2 I didn't do anything but walk and my water broke at 38 weeks. DS#3 I was induced At 39+1 because of my GD and baby was seemingly over 10 lb. (really only 8lb 9 oz) But my labor with him was only 5 hours once they were able to get me into labor! I think the EPR helped as my cervix usually doesn't start to dilate or soften until delivery. But with him I was 1cm and 75% when I walked in which was HUGE for me!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 2:36pm
I don't do anything specific or obvious to speed things up. I think they just come when they're ready. And really, after my last one being induced before my body was ready and it was harsh, I have no desire at all to do anything to get things going. I do drink RRL tea, but more for uterine health than anything and we don't stop having sex and with my 1st and 3rd, that was what got things going - or it was just a coincidence that the contractions started with the big O and didn't stop. Not that it was instant or anything either. I hear of some doing some really crazy and risky things and I just can't do that to myself or the baby. I do get frustrated and anxious but it's just one of those things you have to wait for. Plus, if I did try, I don't handle the disappointment of them not working well either. Can you imagine chugging castor oil and it doing nothing but making you sit on the toilet for days or be puking your guts out? no thanks!!!
sig2-sm

Pages