Etsy Stores - who has one?

iVillage Member
Etsy Stores - who has one?
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:54am

I'm trying to readjust to being a full time mama again but I have this pull at me to do things that I love and that can contribute even a little bit to the family income. I have some ideas in mind but wondering about Etsy. How well does it work for you? Are the fees worth it? Are the things you sell unique or quite common? How do you think that plays into your sales? Do you do any other advertising or marketing for your store? I'm considering opening one but not sure if now is the right time or if I should wait a little while and see how things go with the baby or what. I don't want to jump right in without knowing what I'm getting into and I'm definitely a planner so I need a business plan of sorts. :) I currently run my own photography business but it takes so much time away from home that I really cut back this past year with the baby and now will be done totally for at least a year, maybe 2 while I have 2 babies at home. But there are days that I really just don't want to get back into it at all. It's a lot of work. Just looking into some other options.

sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 12:35pm

I've had my photography shop on Etsy since late Dec 2010. I cannot say that it has been a huge success but then I don't do anything much to promote it either. ( http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChasingTheClouds?ref=si_shop

Karen

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 2:28pm
Thanks Karen! I'm actually looking into it for sewing items and not photography - but the info is still the same. My only concern with competition is if it's really hard to get sales even with minimal spreading the word. I don't need to support my family - would just like to be able to have a little extra but make nice things in MY time - since caring for 2 babies just takes a lot out of me and I need something else to fulfill my creativity. I will do the research, I'm in no way ready to jump. I was just wondering if even with minimal sales if it seems worth it or if some really push to sell and whatnot. I haven't even looked into the pricing of it all too much but that's on my to-do list. I would certainly start out small and let it build. I worry about too many custom type orders too. I'd like to just be able to list what I have and am able to do in my free time - like that will be very much at all! I don't want to be too confined by deadlines in case things don't go as smoothly with the kiddos as I'd like. I'm trying to keep a level head! :) Thank you for all your thoughts!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-23-2012 - 12:49pm

I have one, however I have found that facebook is more effective.

Photobucket