Hm. How do you feel about the names you choose?

iVillage Member
Hm. How do you feel about the names you choose?
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 8:23pm

We finally decided on a name. Aveline Sophia. However, tonight when I talked to DH's mom she already started calling her Ava. While I love the name Ava as a nn, I'm not crazy about naming my child something, intending to call her something, and having it immediately shortened. I don't think she meant anything by it but I did tell her I won't be calling her Ava but that I love it so if someone uses it here or there it won't bother me: I just won't be.

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member

I love our name, we both do. We call her both Ana and Anastasia, a few friends of mine have said they'll call her Anya, which is fine. If it's anything like our son, we'll call her by the both and she'll decide what she'd rather go by when she's old enough. Our son has grumbled when he is called Gabe, and says "My name is Gabriel, call me by my name please." :)

And as a side note, if she gets in trouble, we'll start with the "Ana Beth" and if she's in serious trouble, we'll call her full first and middle name. A ton of syllables for that, it means serious business.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I'm not too fond of shortened names. With our DD whos name is Layla, i havent had anyone use a short version of it yet and shes 4. I dont even think there is a short version for it lol.

As for Brielle, we love it. we havent told anyone the name yet since no one IRL knows the sex of the baby. I know Brielle can be shortened to Brie, but I think thats totally cute as well so it doesnt bother me, I'm pretty sure I'll be calling her that sometimes too lol
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 11:37pm
I have an Ava so I'm partial to that but I know what you mean. Her name was going to be Elizabeth or Catherine but I don't like the nicknames, I'd want the full name used. None of my kids' names though can be shortened into nicknames though.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2012 - 11:44pm
We haven't even chosen a name yet!!! waaaahhhh!!

But, with our last, Lucas, his name is LUCAS, not Luke. But James' mom always calls him Luke. I will stress LUCAS when I say his name in front of her. I've asked him to tell her that his name is Lucas but he hasn't. He doesn't have the strong feelings about it that I do but I'm not a fan of shortening names either. I would just make a point to say that her name is Aveline [which I adore!!] and not Ava.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 12:13am
Yay for picking a name! Is it pronounced like Ava-leen, Ava-line or Ava-lynn? I think as long as you call her Aveline most of the time that is all that matters.

I remember my ILs tried to shorten my oldest's name to Trina and we all ignored it and that didn't last long LOL. We do sometimes call her Kat though.

My youngest daughter goes by Julia or Jewel.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Most people dont shorten names here without asking the parents or the person, that is just the way we are and also 80% of the nicknames we end up with has nothing to do

iVillage Member
I'm not fond of nn. However my son Gabriel is called Gabey and I'm sure as he out grows it he will be just Gabe. That is the only one of my 3 (4) children that have a name that can be shortened. Keavan, Seth, and Ireland are kind of hard for nn.

On another note I Love your name choice! Very soft and feminine!
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member

Here's my opinion on this...

My older 2 kids names are Jacob & Kaitlyn - If I had wanted them to be called JAKE or KATIE or KATE, I would have named them that. I never call Kaitlyn by any other name other than Kaitlyn unless I'm using her nick name of KaityMoo. And rarely do I call Jacob Jake.

With my 3rd, her name is Sophie, not Sophia. I wasn't keen on the idea of naming her something (Sophia) knowing I'll never call her that. Occasionally I will call her Soph but that's also a NN.

My MIL never called the kids by the name they were given.. She made up her own creations! And FIL calls them by the shortened versions.

Brandie Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
One thing to keep in mind is that no matter what you call your child when they get older they can choose to go by whatever they want. For about a year my oldest was going by the nickname Kitty *gag* Thankfully she got over that but it does show you that sometimes they will find an awful nickname that you never even thought of

Photobucket

iVillage Member
It is pronounced a little funny, which I'm sure I'll have to correct a lot. It's A(as in apple)-va-leen. It has the same ending sound as Celine, Evangeline, etc. I will probably be calling her Aveline Sophia a bunch. I just love the whole name. Hopefully that will encourage everyone to call her Aveline. I went ahead and emailed my family members tonight with the spelling and pronunciation of the name in hopes of gently encouraging proper usage.

Photobucket<

Pages