What holiday

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 12:42pm

I was born 2 weeks before Christmas.

Liz DD (4) & DS (EDD 4/30) Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 1:36pm
We really don't have to many solid traditions because we've got so much family spread across the country, we don't have time to see everyone each year. The past two years, we spent with my father in law and his family (the aunts, uncles, and grandparents), so this year, we'll go see my family and my mother in law's family. What my family does now is they get together on Christmas night in pajamas and have hot chocolate and desserts for the evening. As far as presents go, one can be opened on Christmas Eve, the rest have to wait until the next day. And, nothing can be opened until the last person is awake and out of their room.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 4:35pm

As a kid, when all the family was around (after a while they moved and eventually we moved out of state) we always did the big family thing on Christmas Eve and just the immediate family ON Christmas day.. Even as I got older and we moved out of state, we still did the present opening on Christmas eve with Chili and cornbread for dinner and big Christmas dinner on Christmas day.

I get married and we have family around again.. Still do the big family thing on Christmas Eve - usually at my mom's house (easier on my kids). It's almost like a HUGE mini family reunion as it's family we don't get to see when we visit there normally. Everyone brings food.. Then Christmas day it's just my family and my parents for dinner and usually my grandparents come over for pie.

Thanksgiving is done at our house.. We quit buying the big turkey and only buy breasts and cook those, we used to throw out soo much turkey. Kids and I get up early to watch Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade & once Santa comes down the road, it's officially Christmas season and let the music begin! I HATE HATE it starting early!

Since we aren't home for Christmas, we don't put up a tree. BUT we do put it up at our business. At my mom's, she waits till we get there and lets the kids decorate the tree.

Brandie Lilypie - Personal picture