mommies who have or are ebf

iVillage Member
mommies who have or are ebf
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 11:59pm
Never have had this problem...love some input.

I think I have enough bm.
She seems content after a feeding.
Appropriate wet/dirty diapers.

But...weight gain is not good.

9.1 birth
8 at 5 days
8.1 at 6 days
8 5.5 at 14 days

I've been nursing for about 30 min each side every 2/3 hours.

Last few days she has perfect "seedy" yellow poos (sorry TMI)

Any ideas about how to pack on some weight without using formula?

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 12:56pm
And yes, this is the general rule, to be back to birth weight by two weeks, but not a hard fast one.

Asiqueen, the trend is that your daughter IS gaining. She may just not just be following the textbook back to birth weight by two weeks.

I would however, see that you just keep putting her to the breast as often as she wants. I think that should help with the weight gain. And of course, if it doesn't, investigate what's happening by seeking some breastfeeding support.
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 12:53pm

Give it a little time.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 12:51pm
Give it a little time. My daughter was slow to gain weight at the beginning, but soon began to gain an ounce per day (recommended weight gain).

Don't limit or time her feedings. Put her on the breast more often. Keep offering around the clock. Try not to set to any 2-3 hour schedule at this point, especially since you are concerned about weight gain. After you offfer her both sides, offer her the first side again. Let her nurse for an hour if she wants at this point. Also you could visit a lc so she could watch babies latch and do a pre/post weight just to get an idea of what she's taking in.

I know all my advice sounds a little inflexible, but I think that's often what you have to do in order to establish a good feeding routine and good weight gain. I went through all this when my dd was first born and she turned out to be an excellent nurser, but I could have easily have given up at the beginning.

I would also visit the breastfeeding boards here on iv. They have lots of good advice and lots of knowlegable women who will encourage you to kip. You can do it!

Community Leader
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 12:24pm
We would be happy to help with any of your breastfeeding questions over on the Breastfeeding Support/Ask the Lactation Consultant board. We have a board certified LC on staff along with several trained experienced moms to help with your questions. Would it be possible for you to come ask on our board?

http://forums.ivillage.com/ivillage/?category.id=iv-ppbreastfeed

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 6:14pm
My DD was a milk junkie, but I'd just let her go as long as she wanted in the beginning. Sometimes she would go for 45 minutes to an hour on the first side. Then I'd offer the other which she might or might not go for.

I don't think you need to worry about the weight loss yet, but I agree with the other posters that letting her go on one side for as long as she wants might help.
 Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 4:58pm

Adam was born at 7lb 7 oz. When we left the hospital he was 6 lb 13 oz. When we went in for his 2 week visit he was up to 7lb 5 oz but just five days before he weighed in at 6 lb 12 oz. Really I think if she seems content after a feeding and is at least gaining weight and not losing she should be fine!

Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 4:50pm
Thanks...:)
So you nurse on one side then the next feeding the same side? But doesn't your other breast hurt by that point?
I will try this. Thanks again
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 3:19pm
My first 4 babies had no issues gaining weight. It was really hard for me at first to deal with Levi being a preemie, having jaundice, and not gaining and was actually losing. Preemie and jaundice have a lot to do with that. But because he was early and sleepy with that and jaundice - he wasn't nursing long or well. So I started block feeding - each side 2 times in a row. I didn't feed EACH SIDE in a feeding - I never have with any of mine. I let them nurse one side down so they get the hindmilk which is where the fat is. if they were still hungry, I'd offer them the other but that was rarely needed. So now with block feeding, he's not emptying a breast in one feeding but will eat again in a short time so is getting that hind milk. If you're offering each breast, she may be getting full but may not be getting enough hind milk. I would try NOT offering each breast just because. If she needs it, then go for it. And if that doesn't work, try block feeding. I wouldn't worry about the slow gain either unless your doc/ped has a specific reason to be worried. I'd look at her gain in a month and go off of that. Plus, she is gaining. She's not stuck or losing which is really good. Hang in there!
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 2:43pm

I am happy I can

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 2:23pm
Yes it does help ;)....im not worried...... and dr. Yesterday wasn't either. I just haven't had a slow gainer.
I know I have milk....but I gave my dil my breast pump. So I can't check. But im wondering if I have too much foremilk and not good hind milk....Idk
I probably will have her weight checked in a week. Dr. Suggested 2 weeks but im curious.

Pages