Prenatal Vitamins

iVillage Member
Prenatal Vitamins
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:11pm

I took my prenatals prior to getting pregnant, but then I took a hiatus from 7-15 weeks because I had intense nausea.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:42pm
Perrrrsssooonnnaaallllyyy (haha emphasis there) I kind of don't see what the big deal is about prenatals. I try very hard to take them because it's an extra boost in my system while I'm pregnant, but I don't beat myself up over not taking them. I haven't gotten back into taking mine yet because of the sickness. I know the health professionals will make you feel wretched for not taking them, but honestly, women have been having babies for hundreds of years...

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:59pm
I'm in the same boat as Julianne. I wouldn't freak out about not taking them. They do help out, but women have done worse than not take their prenatals and have gone on to have healthy babies. I personally have taken my prenatals daily, but I haven't had the nauseous reaction to them either this pregnancy or with my son previously. If your doc said that it's okay, I agree, because she's right: you'd be giving up all of their benefits anyway if you ended up throwing it up anyway. I think you'll be fine. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 3:34pm
I tried 3 prenatal vitamins before I broke down and told my doctor they were making me seriously sick. That was at around 9 weeks. She put me on these prescription ones that were without DHA and those were a tad better. We had a trip to Disney planned with my 4 yr old and she told me if the meds were making me sick I shouldn't take them. With my DD I had no m/s at all. With this one, not so lucky. I threw up quite a bit with this one and I have to say if the meds are making you throw up there is no benefit to it at all. Make sure you eat all the food groups and you'll be just fine. You'll have a healthy little one don't worry. :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 3:52pm

I think the major thing with the prenatals in the first trimester is to get the folic acid to prevent neural tube defects.

Photobucket