Stretch marks...

iVillage Member
Stretch marks...
Mon, 11-21-2011 - 9:55pm
When do stretch marks usually first appear? I know most people get them, but I'm hoping to be one of the lucky few who don't. Any tips from anyone who's prevented them, or at least lessened them? I've been using bio-oil, but I'll take any tips from BTDT moms! Thanks, Tanya
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 7:36am
I have used Suave cocoa butter and shea lotion with my last pregnancy and this pregnancy every day, even before my belly gets so big it's stretching. I think that helps, as well as drinking a lot of water, but the biggest factor is genetics. This is my 5th pregnancy and I'm knocking on wood so hard because I have no major stretch marks on my belly so far! My 4th pregnancy was my biggest and I got very tiny little ripple marks in some areas, not really visible unless you look closely, and if I could get everything to firm up some, I'd go back in a bikini. I'm hoping for the same with this one! When I was a teen, I was on Prednisone for a long time and gained a lot of weight so I do have old faded stretch marks on my legs - nothing helped them then even though my skin was young and far more pliable. With each pregnancy, I do get some new ones on my breasts. It's just weird. I think you can do whatever you can do to prevent but that may or may not work. I think they can show up at any time - whenever your skin starts to stretch enough - which is different for everyone.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 8:40am
I was so good about moisturizing and drinking plenty of water with my last pregnancy. I was thrilled to go through almost my entire pregnancy without them until they started to show the very last few weeks of my pregnancy. I was so bummed, but I knew that it was a possibility because it runs in my family. I swear they came back with a vengeance as soon as I found out I was expecting this time. Like Heidi said, genetics play a big role and there's no guaranteed way to prevent them altogether.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 9:29am

When I was pg with DD I put Palmer's Cocoa butter on my stomach every day once I started getting a belly and I only had one stretch mark until the last month. The last few weeks it almost seemed as though I found a new one starting every day and it was super discouraging. They seemed to get bigger in the first few days after she was born. I have really long and

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 11:37am
A lot of it is genetics so there isn't much you can do about that. It certainly doesn't hurt to rub bio-oil or vitamin E oil on every day to see if it helps though.

Photobucket