Strict Bedrest :-(

iVillage Member
Strict Bedrest :-(
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 10:23pm

Went to my dr appt today and the dr did a cervix check and said I was 2.5cm now. So she calls the hospital and they want me to come in. Before I leave she takes a swab for the Fetal Fibronectin test.

So I get to the hospital and they hook me up to monitors. They did an u/s to check baby's position, which is still head up, and we saw Adam kicking my cervix. Dr had a talk with me and said they wanted me to continue to be monitored and were going to wait for the test results to come back.

So

Karen

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 7:51am

Oh man! That is not fun at all! Take it easy, bedrest with a four year old should be interesting... Maybe make a game of it? Does she like to "take care" of people? Maybe you can explain it to her like you need a care taker and she has to be a big girl and help you a lot? Get some games the two of you can do together and try keeping her busy like that?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 11:54am
I had that FF test done 6 times my last pregnancy, :( I'm at 1cm and 75% effaced right now, same with my last pregnancy at this gestation and I held on until 36 weeks. I'm sure you will be just fine, just take it easy!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:44pm

Well I do have to admit she can be pretty independent and entertains herself pretty well. But eventually she will get bored playing by herself.

DH and the girls helped out this morning getting a cup with a drink for her in the fridge, snacks on the counter in her reach, and breakfast laid out for her when she woke up.

I had a talk with her this morning and she seems to understand that mommy needs to rest and she said, "If you need something mommy just let me know and I will get it for you." She is so sweet.

DH said he will start making lunch for her before he leaves so I don't have to get up and make it for her, which I think she will love especially if he packs it in her little lunchbox.

I guess I am just really bummed to be on strict bedrest. Today I am having some cramping from the multiple cervix checks and my back hurts from laying on the hospital bed for a little over four hours. I could hardly sleep last night.

I am not really concerned about delivering early. I just wonder if strict bedrest is really necessary. I know that they have to be cautious but I thought modified bedrest should be sufficient enough.

Does anyone know if they will typically take you off of bedrest after 37 weeks, since you are considered full term by then? I am hoping so then it would only make bedrest a month-which is still quite a bit but better than the full 7 weeks.

:-P

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 1:50pm

That sucks :(

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 3:32pm
Thank goodness you're already 33 weeks! That should make it a bit more tolerable. Just think, only 3 more weeks to hang on--4 to full term-- and you won't have to worry.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 7:07pm

That sucks I feel for you

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 9:12pm
Sorry to hear this!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 9:43pm
Ugh that sucks! I was put on bedrest with my 2nd when my oldest was 4. It wasn't the greatest but she was old enough to be a little more independent. I was let off bedrest at 36 weeks because I had a family wedding to attend. My baby didn't end up coming until I was over 41 weeks so the bedrest seemed like a total waste of time LOL

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 6:22am
Bed rest sucks. It is totally normal to get bummed out, but that doesn't make it any easier. Can you camp out on the couch? That way you're a but more in the center of the action. I've heard some moms set up a small cooler with snacks, drinks, and lunch for easy access. Maybe you could also have an activity station set up for DD with books, coloring, etc.

I was on bed rest with my last pregnancy. There were good days and really crappy days. DD ended up coming late. Having a "routine" if sorts helped me feel more normal.

I hope your bed rest is successful in keeping your little one in until full term. I've heard that every day they stay inside of you is about 3 days they would have to spend in the hospital. So you are accomplishing a lot, even if it doesn't feel like it.
 Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 9:31am
Thank you for all of the words of encouragement. I am thankful to be so close and to not be on hospital bedrest.

Going to Dr office today and seeing yet another new Dr I haven't seen before. I think everyone in the office will know me by the end.

Yesterday wasn't too bad. DD had a great time dancing and singing for me. She is used to having a playmate (5 yr old I watched) and I know it is probably going to take some used to being just her for the next few months.

I like the idea of the activity station and am going to use Heather's suggestion as well. Sarah just got a Dr kit and I am sure would love to pretend she is the Dr taking care if me.

Karen

Pages