Telling landlord you're pg?

iVillage Member
Telling landlord you're pg?
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 10:15pm

Ok, so we've been renting the same house for 4 years.

http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 10:48pm
I doubt it's that they would kick you out or anything. It's probably more that they want to make sure that your house won't break down while you have a little one there. You never know....maybe they wanted to get you something for the baby. I have a hard time believing that their reaction is coming from a negative place.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 10:56pm
So, are you suggesting that I tell them then?

No, I don't think that they are bad people by any means. But giving a new mom a guilt trip because I didn't tell them? I didn't think it was that cool. I even remember being so worn down that I cried over the stress over it all.

Now that I'm a in a clearer place and even knowing they were upset before, I still don't feel very obligated to tell them. But maybe I'm wrong..
http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 11:31pm
I could see feeling kind of strange about it, like you, because I would expect it to be a non-issue, If you never even talk to these people it would feel even more odd to find a way to bring it up IMO. BUT I do agree that I'm sure it probably didn't come from a negative place. I'd probably suggest just giving a heads up if you have any sort of casual way you could do it but I don't think I'd contact them out of the blue for the first time in a really long time to announce it--that seems a bit uncomfortable to me.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 12:05am
Yes I am with Julianne. It seems rather odd to contact them when you rarely speak to them just to say you are pregnant. That would feel really weird and awkward. Maybe when the baby is born you can send out a generic birth announcement over email and send one to them?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 2:59am

It could be legal issues for them, if they do not know how many people are living in the house. It could be that simple.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 9:05am
My uncle rents homes out.. he actually loves his "good' renters... And is actually concerned about these things on a person to person level.. he has given several months free rent as a gifts to these type of renters..even the people who my parents bought their house from enjoyed me being pregnant. They even bought me a gift for baby... maybe they r stand offish, but like to know because they like u cause your easy renters... Who knows.. they may be like my uncle or the people who use to own my parents house...
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 9:15am
I would bet they only want/need to know because they are supposed to keep track of how many tenants are in the unit. No, it doesn't effect your rent and you can't get kicked out for that or anything. I think it's just a record keeping issue. But they may felt hurt because they may have felt closer to you than you did to them. Or for some reason they felt entitled.

I would just find some way to work it in too - not make a big deal out of it. I like the idea of just sending a birth announcement - maybe something simple with your payment that month.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 5:55pm
There is no law saying you have to tell them but I know for us we told the landlord just as a heads up and also once baby comes we will add him to the lease as a liability thing...if there were a fire or anything the landlord knows exactly how many people are in the dwelling! I guess for us it was no big deal to tell the landlord but every person is different so if you don't feel you need to then don't...that's my opinion
Photobucket