Timelines for baby prep?

iVillage Member
Timelines for baby prep?
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 1:36pm

When do you personally feel like you want to have a place ready for the baby to sleep, a diaper stash, and an emergency hospital bag for yourself ready?

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 2:41pm
For the baby's room, I'd be comfortable if it is set up no later than 34 weeks. I have the baby bag done at about the same time, just in case. I'll have the car seat installed and checked out to make sure it's done right (we have a much different car than when my son was in a seat, so I want to go by either the police station or the hospital to have them make sure we've done it correctly) by about the same time. I doubt I will be more than a week early on this LO, but better to be safe than sorry. :)

As far as reading goes, I try to have a minimum of four unread books on my Kindle at all times and I have a running Wish List on Amazon to when I run low, I order a few new ones. Our public library also finally added Kindles to their ebook checkout options, so that will come in handy, too.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 2:45pm
In our state we have a digital public library for checking out books and kindle friendly books. I love it. That's a great idea to keep un read ones at the ready.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 3:59pm

Well the baby bed will be next to our

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 4:09pm
I'd love to have the baby's room done as early as possible...with the exception of furniture. We're still undecided what we're going to need because any new furniture we buy will be for DD. So if she's ready for a big girl bed at that point, that's what we'll buy. The baby is going to sleep in our room for the first few months anyway. I usually have my bag packed by 34 weeks just in case.

Having something ready in the Nook to read is an awesome idea!! Last time I really didn't have time to myself to relax with all of the visitors and the overwhelming news of breast feeding and being a new mom.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 4:26pm

The crib is coming this week.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 4:30pm

I was in the same position when I had my son....there was always someone there and when there wasn't, I was bonding with my son. I didn't have time to read. I probably won't this time around either, but I'll be prepared. Bag will have the Kindle, a camera, phone charger and phone, and iPod for when my son is there with us. Last time, if I had actual time to myself, I watched television mostly. I hope to not have too many visitors this time.

I also already have the crib assembled because it was my son's old crib from when he was born and my parents brought it up to us from their house (it was being used for my niece and nephews while they needed it and were being watched by my grandmother while my siblings worked), so I put it together. The only thing that I can imagine will need assembling that we will get are the stroller and our baby gates for our stairs, the latter of which we won't need until we have some baby mobility anyway.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 5:36pm

I have fallen in love with this bed from IKEA.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 5:52pm
That's really cute! We're either going to buy a convertible crib, if DD hasn't started climbing out of her current one, or I'm just going to buy a twin bed. I can't see spending the money on a toddler bed. I'll just start out by putting the mattress on the floor and working our way up from there. Hopefully we'll have a better idea what we're going to do by the time we get our tax refund back.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 7:19pm
Hmm I have no idea. Usually I like to have the room and bag ready by 36 weeks. I am expecting to go to 41-42 weeks so I could probably wait until my due date to do everything LOL

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 9:06pm
We'll be starting on the nursery in the next couple of weeks. All my baby furniture is at my parent's house, and I know they cant wait to get it out of the house. Before I bring in the furniture though. we'll need to paint. Thats pretty much all thats gonna get done till probably feb. The baby will be sleeping in our room for the first few months, but that little crib wont be set up till probably the week before my due date.
I'll probably start packing my bag at about 38 weeks. We live pretty close to the hospital, so even if I forget stuff its not gonna take long for my DH or parents to go get it.
Photobucket

Pages