Useless things you have packed in your bags?

iVillage Member
Useless things you have packed in your bags?
Sat, 03-03-2012 - 3:21pm

My SIL is due with their first a months after me. And we were talking about things she should bring with her to the hospital. I had a good laugh at some of the stuff she was suggesting. Then an even better one with the things I have brought.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member

Right now, there is just my medical paper that I have to have in, in case of black out and computer problems, they might never look at it BUT it is just in case.

iVillage Member
Most of what I pack ends up being useless but I like to have it "just in case". With my last baby we were home 3 hours after the birth so we didn't use a lot. One thing I will be packing this time is a shirt for DH. Last time he held the baby right after she was born and his shirt got blood and gucky stuff on it and we didn't have a change of clothes for him.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

LOL at the shirt for DH. My DH didn't bring anything and was in desperate need of a shave when I had my youngest DS. I remember looking at the pictures when we came home thinking MY GAWD! He looked awful after 3 days! Gross!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
For us with DS, I brought a few pairs of clothes for DS, which I didn't use because I figured the hospital used their own onesies, they can have the nasty dirty ones. I also brought our own diapers, but used the ones in the hospital because they were free. This time around, I have the diaper bag packed and pretty much ready to go at a moment's notice with a blanket, two take home outfits (weather depending), an aspirator, and some travel sized toiletries for me (mouthwash, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and a loofa). I'll pack my toothbrush and deodorant the day of along with a hair brush and lotion. I'm also going to pack a small bag for DH with a few changes of clothes, deodorant, and toiletries because he'll be staying there with me overnight, plus a pair of socks and underwear for me to come home in. I'll just wear the same clothes home that I wear to go to the hospital.

I feel more functional this time. The only thing I will bring that may not even see the light of day is my Kindle, but who knows. If it comes down to it, I'll have resources to go pick up what I'm missing. But, I don't want to pack like I'm moving into the hospital.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I can't remember much of what I packed before. I think I remember packing a crossword puzzle book with my last, didn't have smartphones back then...or at least I didn't. That was nearly five years ago.

This time around I am keeping it to a bare minimum. We only live 10 mins from the hospital and dh will have to make trips home to check on girls, bring them to hospital to see baby, etc. So I am just packing clothes to wear home, coming home outfit for Adam,

Karen