Visitors

iVillage Member
Visitors
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 10:07pm

What is everyone's opionion's on visitors the first week baby is home? If this baby comes on his due date, my daughter will be on spring break, she's 7, my mother and my husband will be on 1 weeks vacation. I don't mind the grandparents visiting, but

iVillage Member
In reply to: saydasmom
Sat, 04-07-2012 - 6:46pm

I don't like visitors at all...at the hospital or at home for a week or two. I want my space to get used to all of the newness of the baby in the house. I told DH that I was not calling anyone to tell them until about an hour or two after birth, because I want my peace and quiet, a chance to shower and at least one good chance to nurse and snuggle baby.

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-07-2012 - 2:24pm

Well it odd here, yes babies are a big thing in life, but not as big as it is for

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-07-2012 - 1:04pm
Yeah I think a half hour is more than enough for a new baby visit. I hate when people come by for hours... seriously? I got things to do people!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-07-2012 - 11:06am
if it were customary to stay only 10-15 minutes - I don't think I'd mind as much! People totally overstay their welcome. I nurse in front of anyone and everyone so I can't use that as an excuse to get some people to leave. But when babies get fussy and other kids get crazy, people don't seem to take that as a hint that maybe they should move on.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-07-2012 - 11:04am
I don't even like visitors in the hospital! I know it's harsh but I don't. I really just like time to snuggle my baby all by myself. I know everyone is excited to see the baby and wants to hold while so small - but I think people just don't think. We do allow family at the hospital, but they have to schedule, they cannot just drop in. I will not tolerate so many people all at once. And at home, family is welcome, scheduled and for short periods, when we get home. Even though I go out with baby and don't fear a million germs [nobody random ever touches my baby!] I don't like general friends over the first week or two either. I feel like it is just exploiting my baby - they just want to hold them, hear the birth story, be amazed that OMG I now have FIVE kids, how will I ever survive?!!, and go home. Ok, I'm being harsh, but really, I don't care for visitors right away and if they are going to visit - they better call ahead, or else they will find a grumpy mama bear! :)
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 12:16pm
Luckily, we live far enough away from most of our families that we would have to know when they plan to come by. Unfortunately, we live in a two story house where downstairs is the living room, dining room, and kitchen and upstairs are the rooms. I do know that my mother in law will be here in town the day we come home from the hospital and my parents will be in town for three days after we have been home for one or two days, but they plan to stay in a nearby hotel. Other than that, I do plan to have people call before they come over and if people come over without calling, I don't answer my door. I think if you set a rule that people have to call and ask when a good time to come over is, that should help avoid a situation like what you previously experienced. That would have irritated me if it happened to me.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 9:17am
I know what you mean about laying down for rest when you're the sole caregiver and being awakened because someone wants to come see the baby. I am usually all about visitors after the birth (it helps me feel a little more normal, less isolated) but the timing of it can be tricky occasionally. Maybe this time if that happens you can hand the baby over to DH and continue to take your rest? It would give you absolute peaceful time.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 8:28am
I don't think it can be helped. It's very annoying, especially unannounced and lengthy visits. But, they really mean well. I would probably just go about my business. If its time to breastfeed, then I would excuse myself to do so and hopefully they get the idea.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 3:40am

Here the tradition is different, people will come over, that I know and they will be bringing a

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 10:26pm
I hate it when visitors just drop by. We always request that people call ahead and make sure it is a good time for a visit. That seems to help a lot.

Photobucket