what would you do? our puppy.

iVillage Member
what would you do? our puppy.
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 3:12pm
We have a puppy named Baxter, he's about 15 months old. He's the sweetest dog ever, he's just... hyper. DH and I arent sure we should keep him when the baby comes. He's half boxer half pitbull mix. He's not mean or agressive, however, because of his size ( about 60lbs) he tends to knock over DD pretty easily, so I'm a little worried what he would do to the baby. I put up baby gates to block off the family room and living room, so he cant go where the swing and playpen is. He doesnt have acccidents in the house, but he eats alot of stuff, like our shoes, dd's toys ect. What would you do ? would you keep him? or give him away? Here's our little Baxter :( Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 4:37pm
Maybe wait and see how he reacts once the baby is here? Do you have someone in mind if you have to give him away? Maybe you could put out some feelers and see if anyone is interested so you have something lined up if you need it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 4:44pm

What job does he have in the family?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 4:53pm
I agree - a bored dog is a busy, destructable, hyper dog. He needs more walks or throwing a ball or frisbee to in the yard a few times a day. A job would be awesome.

If you're concerned about how he'll react with the baby - give him visitation rights on a leash or from behind a gate - so that everyone is safe. Make the baby's room off limits. Some dogs are amazingly protective of babies and turn into the best dogs ever. I wouldn't short change him until you've tried some other things.

What about an obedience class? Dogs learn so much, so fast, and you learn some good tips on how to control certain things and build on those skills to teach them more skills. Even well behaved dogs love obedience classes because the get to use their brain and be rewarded. They're so smart, they need to not just lay around all day for sure.
sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 5:11pm
I agree with the idea of having the dog busy with either a job or playing outside. Visitation rights are a good idea, too. At least to get him familiar with the little one. In my experience, dogs are very protective of their "little humans". My parent's dog was very protective of my son when he was a baby, as was my in-law's dog. I would see how it goes first before you make any decisions. It might turn out okay.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 7:53pm
We have a pretty big yard, so he does play out there alot, probably a couple hours a day, and I take him out for walks, just shorter ones now sine I'm swollen and it makes me have contractions.

He doesnt have a "job" .. I've never even heard or seen that ever, and almost everyone we know has a dog lol.

I wanted to bring him for some trainning classes, but they wont take him since he's part pitbull and those are illegal where we live. He knows his basics, like sit, down, stay, ect.. but as soon as someone who isnt me DH or DD is in the house, it all goes out the window and he goes wild.

I'm sure he could use more play time, I'm just not sure how we''ll be able to give him that with a new baby and all. I want him to be happy
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 4:05am

Well think of it your self,

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 4:32am
We have a st. Bernard and its the laziest freaking dog on the planet.....if I were to give it a job it would probably would look at me and just sigh and then lay back down !
I have to step around it to get things out of my mudroom where it sleeps 24/7.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 5:54am

Very common

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 8:39pm
where do you live?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 9:41pm
My moms dog was and is very hyper.. when my ds 2 was born I let him sniff and lay by baby.. I didn't make Jake off limits.. Brock was very aware of Jake being a baby.. everytime Jake would cry he'd rum at me like " hey, he needs u!" He has always been very protective and gentle with Jake.. he is now two and my dad smacked James hand, Brock went nuts barking and growling at my dad.. my dad had to get away from Jake and Brock finaly hushed..
So, your puppy may know to be gentle out of instinct.. I'd say, give him chance and don't shoosh him away.. watch him close but let him check the baby out and lay close. : ) he may just be the best bud your baby has ever had like my moms dog..

Pages