Wraps, carriers, slings--oh my :)

iVillage Member
Wraps, carriers, slings--oh my :)
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 12:34pm

For BTDT, have you used any of the above before? What have been your favorites/least favorites? How often did you use them?

For FTM, do you have interest in using a baby carrying device? What have you looked into so far? Have you heard about a particular brand?

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 2:27pm

Baby Bjorn has always been my favorite, can

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 2:29pm
Yep you can get those here. Does it work well when they're still quite small too?

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 2:31pm
I never wore DS because of his size, but I did get two carriers from my sister to use this time around. Not sure if I will, but she loved them. I think one is Evenfllow, maybe the other is Eddie Bauer.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 2:53pm

Yes they do, they have a neck support and all, check them out, cause I prefer them and I am big hipped an big

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 4:22pm
I loved my baby bjorn, i used it soo much, and cant wait to used it again with this one. I started using them when she was about a month old or something.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 4:41pm
I love my Baby Bjorn! I used it quite a bit with DD. I also bought a Munchkin Jellybean wrap which worked okay, but I prefer my Bjorn.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 5:42pm
I had a pocket sling that I used a lot when my youngest son was a baby. He was very colicky and being in that thing was one of the only times he would be quiet. I didn't use it as much with my 1 year old because she was a much happier baby.

I also have a Baby Trekker (I think it is a Canadian carrier) and it is really supportive and easy to use. I would carry my daughter in that a lot last year when I walked to pick up the older kids at school.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 10:30pm

I adore my Ergo and still use it regularly for my DD (17 months) because it can be much more convenient than a stroller at times.

There are two different models of infant inserts for the Ergo. I had an older one that was basically a padded insert that you wrap around your baby and put them in the carrier. The newer model has a cushion that goes under the butt and the legs are tucked more into the fetal position rather than off to one side. It might be worth trying out the different infant insert because it would be cheaper than getting a new carrier.

I picked the Ergo because it distributes the weight so well (super comfy to wear my DD front or back) and it puts the child's legs in a more natural position. With many of the other carriers there is an increased risk of hip-displasia.

It's a tough decision. I hope you find something that works well for you and baby.

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-06-2011 - 9:13am

I have a moby wrap, a woven wrap, and ellaroo mei hip carrier, an ergo, and 2 babyhawk mei tai's. I have also had, in the past, a fitted sling- that I wasnt a fan of.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-06-2011 - 9:16am

The most important thing to know about a carrier is this- If the baby is dangling by the crotch- it is NOT safe. The need to be seated in it, not dangling. Dangling from the crotch puts pressure on their spine and hips and can cause long term development issues. You want to look for a carrier where baby's behind is seated.

and with slings, it should be a tight fit with their heads right up against you close enough that you can kiss the top of their heads. If they sag down deaper than that, it is a suffocation risk.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com

Pages