Yikes--hormonal!

iVillage Member
Yikes--hormonal!
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 8:11am

I think naming this baby + my hormones = not good. I feel like a mess. We cannot agree on names. I have spent hours scouring naming lists and thinking about what has meaning to us. I even expanded my list of 3 solid names to all these:

Allina,

Photobucket<

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 9:09am

Wow! I know exactly what you mean about wanting something soft. That is my battle with LO name. Ireland sounds kind of harsh. And Addalynn sounds so much softer. BUT Ireland reminds me of beauty and that is why I am stuck.

As far as your suggestions I like them. I think Adelia may be one of my favorites. One of my top names was

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 9:43am
LOL my brother's ex g/f was Tina and she was also super rough around the edges. Very stern and no-nonsense.Not the nicest person ever. She had no filter. I laughed when he said Tina and Sheila--I seriously thought he was joking. It pissed him off :( I also agree that Victoria is a strong name and I don't have a problem with it, I just don't want to use it. I have this idea of soft, lyrical, pretty and it doesn't match it--like you said. I'm trying to win him over to Adaline/Adaleena or Avaline/Avaleena. He did say he liked Ava but he doesn't like the stuff with the -line/-leena because it reminds him of Maybelline. Seriously?! Argh!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:12am

This makes me think of that show on HGTV Designing for the Sexes. The woman and man don't like the same design and therefore need the design expert to come up with a solution to please the both of them. Maybe you could bring your list and his list of names across to family and friends and get their opinions. Perhaps dh would be more willing to consider other names if there is a strong backing behind a few. Also you may find other suggestions that may be a good compramise between both of your tastes. Sometimes it helps to have that extra bit of perspective. I know with my first dd I wanted to name her Chloe. DH hated that name. I brought it up to family and nobody else liked it either. Now I am glad that I did not name her Chloe because she is clearly more of an Ashley. I feel lucky that dh isn't too picky with names. There are definitely names he doesn't like but we have the same taste which helps.

In the end, I bet you two will find something that you love. I wouldn't stress about it too much and don't let dh stress you out to try and come up with a name right now. It's better to take longer to find a name you love then to just "pick one" and end up hating it! Although we are near the end you still have a good month to come up with something. I am sure you will find something in that time! :)

Karen

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:29am
When you disagree about baby names it can be so frustrating. Maybe you need to branch out to some other letters other than A since he does not seem to like your A names. Avoid any with the -leen/leena ending and see if you can find one that he likes. If you make a huge list there has to be at least one he can handle. Just remind yourself that whatever you come up with has to be better than Sheila or Tina. Victoria would be a pretty middle name. Ava Victoria sounds pretty but I know you want a longer first name.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:49am
It is only stressing me out so much because I feel like there is a huge gap with no compromise on either side. However, like you said, I still have some time. I agree that it is much better to wait and pick the right one versus just choosing one--that's why we're in this situation right now!

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:52am
It sounds silly, but I gave up trying to branch out on the names because he didn't like any of those either. I figured if he wasn't going to like anything I came up with then he would just have to deal with me sticking to my guns on the A-names. That was part of our 1.5 hour conversation the other day going back and forth on names. I got to the point where I was fed up and he was willing to just settle for names he didn't even care for that much because he didn't like mine, but none of his names had meaning to him. I have been thinking, darned if I am going to settle for a name I don't like that has NO meaning whatsoever. He picked our boys names too for the most part. They were names he insisted on in the middle that I abhorred (but have come to love as part of them) and he was the one who picked the first names. I agreed with them because I liked them, but he is not thwarting my only girl name! lol

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:56am
Then give him your top 3 and tell him he has final say and can pick from those 3 LOL

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 12:41pm
It sounds like a rough situation. Is it possible to keep your list in the back of your mind and wait until she arrives? I can understand for sure that this battle can possibly carry over to post delivery if you wait, so it's better to hash it out now.

I was thinking, too...is there a way you can tork his names? For instance, Sheila is a weird name to me, too....but what about Shayla? That was one of my best friend's names. Tina....I don't have a suggestion other than Tiana, but that's because my brother-in-law is dating a Tiana. Don't necessarily like the name, but it softens up. If you guys can come up with, say, four names to choose between and maybe have two of yours and two of his....or six to split three and three, that might take the edge off of both of you with the tension and not liking either.

I hope you guys can work through this. I can't imagine how difficult it is to deal with this on top of everything else. Ugh. :(
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 2:35pm
Hopefully you will have some time after he gets home to figure it out. I think it would be especially hard to have that kind of disagreement so far away. Maybe once he is home you can each go through a baby name website and write down your top 10 and then cross off the least favourite 8 on each other's list and then see what you are left with.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 3:33pm
I wouldn't necessarily mind having it narrowed down to two super similar names (maybe three) to have in the room to pick after delivery, but DH said this morning he really wants her to have a name ASAP so that as soon as she is born he can hold her and say: Here is my sweet little "...". He kind of won me over with that train of thought because it's so darn sweet :) I think we're both trying really hard because we want her to have a name beforehand and know that I get crazy hormonal after delivery. I thought about torking his names a bit it's just that he honestly is choosing names that are so far off the mark for me. I really, really, strongly dislike them -_-; HOWEVER, that being said, I was playing on babynamegenie.com today and at my 5th click is brought up Adeline Natalie. Natalie is one of the names he liked that I sort of just said no to. I don't like it as a first name, but I could be okay with that as a middle name after seeing it (and having it presented so serendipitously). I'm hoping that maybe if I cave to him on the middle name he will let me lead the way on the first name.

Photobucket<

Pages