Banding Bellies After Baby

iVillage Member
Banding Bellies After Baby
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 8:10pm

I saw a bit on this on Good Morning America this morning - banding/wrapping bellies for support and supposed aiding in post baby weight loss in the baby. Has anyone done this in the past? What has been your experience? I haven't done much research but if anyone has some good information - share. :)

sig2-sm

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 9:13pm
With my last baby I wore my Spanx a lot for few weeks after the birth. I did find that it reduced my belly very quickly compared to the other pregnancies. That being said it wasn't some magical cure and I didn't lose a bunch of post-partum weight or anything. I think it just helps to squish the deflated belly down quicker. I will probably do it again because it was nice not looking 6 months pregnant at 2 weeks post-partum like I usually do.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 12:26am

I've been thinking about this - I heard about it after my post-partum period with DD was over and it got me interested. I haven't done a ton of research yet, but on the surface, it seems like something I'd like to do. I hate that squishy post-pregnancy belly and would love to help it firm up quicker. I have heard about hip reducers post-partum and that makes sense to me. Whether or not I wrap the belly, I think I'd still work on a little hip compression (I'd probably just try to wrap it instead of paying for a commercial product, though).

Shelly with DH, DD, and expecting #2 pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 9:59am

hmm. I dont know too much about it but my friend had a baby a few months ago and has been using some kind of tummy wrap and is loving it. I should find out from her what she is using

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 10:59am
I didn't do this after DS1 and I did after DS2. I do think it helped bring the belly back in much more quickly. That being said, I bought the cheap belly support wrap from Babies R Us or something and I wouldn't want to use it again. I think it would work great for people with no hips, but I have a major pear shaped/ hour glass figure. It wanted to roll up my hips a lot and I had to adjust it a ton. I think some sort of wrap thing would have worked better. I just don't think I'd spend the money on some of those wraps though. Maybe I will go cheap again. It worked as well as anything else would have, but it was a wee bit more annoying.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-21-2011 - 8:06am
I've heard of some doing hips too - and I wish I would have known about that with my first. Not sure if I did it now with my 5th if it would make any difference or not but I might be willing to try. I definitely want to do more research. That postpartum time is so ishy feeling despite having a wonderful bundle! I'm one of the fortunate ones to not carry pregnancy weight around for very long but I have had 2 midline abdominal surgeries [Crohn's Disease] and my muscles will forever be weak so I hope that maybe the banding will help that some for sure.
sig2-sm