Caffeine During Pregnancy- Yay or Nay?

iVillage Member
Caffeine During Pregnancy- Yay or Nay?
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 8:30am

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 10:18pm
I cut it back...but do still drink it. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 12:33pm

I'll admit that I was a little lax about caffeine consumption during my last pregnancy -- not crazy excessive, but definitely more than a cup a day (DD turned out just fine).

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 11:44am
I have guard dogs at work trying to keep me away from caffeine but I only drink one cup of coffee a day and it is very light so I don't think it is that bad. And the caffeine keeps my migraines at bay. I will TRY to stay away from soda but I usually drink 1 20oz pepsi throughout the day.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 9:58am

I like to cut it out completely..I don't think it's worth the risk (even though there really doesn't seem to be one if you only have 1 drink w/ caffeine per day).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 1:24pm
With my first, I cut it out cold turkey and boy, the two weeks of headaches were awful! This time, I started cutting out caffeine gradually when I got off of BC in June. Right now, the only caffeine I was drinking before getting PG was iced tea with a lot of ice in it, but that was maybe once a week. Now, iced tea is my only weakness, but again, I drink it very rarely. I'm glad I got through the headaches and caffeine withdrawls before getting pregnant....having headaches on top of MS was miserable the first time around.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 9:49pm
I intended to continue drinking a cup of coffee per day, but my morning sickness is such that I can barely type the word without gagging, so now I'm caffine free whether I like it or not. Never been much of a soda drinker.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 11:29am

I normally am a huge coffee drinker and get a migraine if I go a few hours without caffiene. So when I found out I was pregnant I quit cold turkey. Im past the head ache stage and miss my coffee but am feeling fine without it. With each of my last pregnancies I started having 1 cup per day again after the first trimester was over. I will probably do the same this time. Unfortunatly, with my last pregnancys my 1 cup of coffee per day grew bigger as the pregnancy went on so by the end of my 3rd tri my 1 cup was = to 2 or 3 cups of coffee (24oz). oops!

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 11:32am

oh. and I quite drinking soda about 6 months age. but I still, maybe 2x per month, take a small sip from DH's coke.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 1:10pm
Ha, I'm in the same boat! I'm ordinarily a HUGE coffee drinker in the mornings, usually about two cups. I started weaning myself off in late June and when I found out I was pregnant, my only weakness was iced tea, which I hadn't started making decaf. I do have decaf coffee occasionally (right now, for instance), but I'm so happy to be past the headaches phase of withdrawls. I almost don't miss it......almost is the key word. I have iced tea very occasionally, but I am planning to start brewing it at home again and make my own decaf pitcher for hot days. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 11:13pm

With my son, I didn't cut caffeine. If I wanted something with caffeine, i drank it. I don't drink coffee, but I normally consume LARGE amounts of caffeine. VERY large. Without meaning to, I have managed to cut caffeine out. I did get a coke today when we got take out, but I didn't finish it. Mainly, when I drink soft drinks it's ginger ale because I get nauseous.

Pages