To cut or not to cut...(circumcision)

iVillage Member
To cut or not to cut...(circumcision)
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 8:07pm

This is always a big debate on EC's! If you have a boy will you circumcise him or not?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 1:17am
I feel like I could have written your post... No experience with non cut men. It isn't a bad thing, it's just all I know. DH is, so we had DS done. My doc didn't allow me to go when he got it done. She said "Mommy's don't need to go, you'll cry. Husbands can go." I was miffed and scared to just let them take the baby w/o me. But DH was happy to feel "in charge" and he said that DS didn't cry at all. So I felt better. But yeah, I really don't want to have to have to make the choice again. But if we have another boy, he'll be circed, too. I've done a lot of reading.... I have had a woman from another board come down on me for my choice. Blah blah blah. The fact is, I sleep at night and DS is fine. But... is it weird that I won't pierce my little girl's ears if I have a girl until she's old enough to care for them? Probably!
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 12:31am
My insurance company covers circumcision - it's specifically listed as a covered expense under the maternity and birth section.
Shelly with DH, DD, and expecting #2 pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 9:59am

Yes, Bess, DH is a Christian.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 1:16pm

I agree that the issues of locker rooms and explaining the differences in penis looks arent big things. the locker room wont even make a difference byt he time these babies are in High School since over 70% American boys were left intact last year and that number had been rising with each year for years now. The majority are going to be intact and the minority circ'd. And explaining that a son and father look different (or two brothers) is just a matter of explaining that boys used to be circumsiced because it was thought to be better but that is nolonger the belief and boys are left intact. I really dont think most bopys will question it or think much of it. I dont think boys are nearly as worried about having identical matching penis's with their dads as us parents are.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-14-2011 - 11:48am

Do you think your son will think something is "wrong" with him when he first glimpses an intact penis in the locker room?

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 2:24pm
My son was born almost 9 years ago and it was 100% covered and I just checked my insurance a few weeks ago (different insurance) and it is covered 100% under well baby. It could depend on your state and insurance carrier, I'm not sure.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 1:40pm

Was this in recent yrs that the insurance payed? I know some companies still do but most have stopped in the last 3 yrs.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 1:39pm

Is your DH a Christian? You can point out to him where Paul says It isnt the circumcision on the flesh that matters but the circumcision of the heart. Nothing in the New Testiment mandates or even encourages circumcision. I'm glad you won the battle anyways, though. Im thnakful that my DH is totally on board and it hasnt been a battle here at all for us because neither of us want to circ

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 12:40pm
Our insurance covered it too, full cost. I'm not sure about other companies, but I understand it is a hot button issue so usually there will be lots of different takes on it--even from an insurance POV. I think there is nothing wrong with your approach to it, either. It is a personal choice. If I'd had an awful experience with the circumcision of either of my boys I might have thought differently about it, but it went so smoothly and they never complained. It didn't make me think twice about it, ya know?

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 12:38pm
Interesting, my insurance will pay for it and when I was on Medical when I had my son (low income insurance), they paid for it, too, with a co-pay at my doctor. You might check your insurance again. ;)
Photobucket

Pages