Kennedy Scuffle w/Nurses Over Newborn

iVillage Member
Kennedy Scuffle w/Nurses Over Newborn
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 12:28pm

This is just an odd story! Douglas Kennedy (son of Robert F. Kennedy) got into a scuffle with nurses at a New York hospital after trying to bring his newborn son outside of the hospital for fresh air. Surveillance video shows the altercation for which Kennedy is now facing charges of child endangerment.

What do you think of the story? Should parents be able to take their newborns outside of the maternity ward while staying at the hospital?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/02/surveillence-video-shows-robert-f-kennedys-son-in-scuffle-with-nurses/

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 5:13pm
That sounds just like my hospital. It's also that same 3rd story, video monitored, buzz you in kind of deal. Those little monitors on the babies are sensitive too. If they go off--hospital security comes running. My mom's cell phone activated the one on Ean when he was born by accident. They would not leave until they saw me and confirmed nothing was awry/checked the matching bracelets. Of course I was in the bathroom at the time :) lol

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 5:11pm
I read this, too, and I have to side with the hospital on this one. I understand why he did it, but security procedures have to be followed, regardless of who you are and what family you come from. Could he have stood at an open window? Sure, not the same, but it's still within the safety of the hospital. My hospital puts alarm monitor bracelets on the baby's ankle as well as several wrist bands that match mom's bands. They have two doors to pass through that are locked and have 24 hour video surveillance where people have to buzz the desk inside to be let in using validating information about the patient. It's crazy secure at my hospital. And, the birthing suites are all on the third floor of the hospital, so the elevators have security measures as well.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 9:43am
I would think usually there wouldn't be a problem taking your baby outside for fresh air, but in this day in time I don't think it can be helped that hospitals don't allow it. At our hospital they have all the babies alarmed in case any one tries to snatch them. Unfortunately, crazy people do steal babies. Hospitals have to do what they can to ensure a safe environment for the babies and unfortunately that means curtailing what is otherwise an acceptable activity. If you can wait a few days, you'll get all the sunshine you could want when you go home.

Photobucket<