OB or Midwife? Hospital or Home?

iVillage Member
OB or Midwife? Hospital or Home?
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 8:05pm

Are you going to be using an OB or Midwife for this pregnancy? Why did you choose one over the other?

Are you planning to give birth at home, the hospital, or a birth center? Why did you choose one over the other?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 9:55am
Using same OB grous as with DS however doc who delivered son no longer delivers. LO will be born in a hospital, but not the same one as DS as they now deliver at the newest hospital in town.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 10:33am

If I had a choice I would give birth in a birthing center with my OB. I don't have a choice though. I am a high risk pregnancy so I don't qualify for a birthing center birth

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 9:47pm
I love my OB and the office she is at! I am an OB/hospital birther. The complaints I have heard about OBs are not something that I have experienced (pro-medicine, impersonal, fast). I also would not want to go to a midwife in this state as there are no true licensing agents for them. After my 3 very complicated births and one newborn who required assistance and a stay in the NICU...I would never opt to give birth far from the best medical care.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 12:25pm

i have high risk deliveries so i will be at a hospital with an ob

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-19-2011 - 4:54pm
I'm doing my OB in a hospital, too. The OB I had with my son retired six years ago and my insurance is different, so I will have a new doctor with a new hospital, though I've used this hospital before, too. They have the best NICU in the area, so I feel very comfortable using them. Besides, I know people who have had their babies here and have had amazing experiences, so I feel that I am in good hands in the event of a complication.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 8:13am

This time I am having a homebirth with a trained, certified midwife with tons of experience under her belt.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 9:39am
For my other pregnancies I had a midwives and my experience was okay so this time I am going to an OB who has a reputation for being with you every step of the way. He is also my U/S tech and does them in the office. I am a little anxious about not having a private room post birth but it is a trade off for personal care
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 8:32pm
I did not realize there are hospitals who have joint rooms still for new mothers. The first hospital I delivered at had LDR's...I loved the room and the fact that I didn't have to move once baby was born. But, I hated my OB and all the nurses at that hospital. The hospital I deliver at now has L&D rooms and then you transfer to the Mother/Baby Unit. I am not fond of moving, but I love my OB and the entire hospital staff on the maternity unit is wonderful! You do have to weigh the pro's and con's.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 7:53pm
My PCP is also an OB. They cycle you through two of the OB's in the office and a Midwife. Depending on who's on call when you deliver, depends on who you get. With my DD I got to have the Midwife and I LOVED her. One of the OB's assisted during the end of delivery. She (midwife) was young and pregnant with her first too and we just hit it off right from the start. I'm really hoping I get to have her again. My uterus has a hard time clamping down after delivery so I need a shot of methogen and usually become slightly anemic after delivery from the blood loss. I'm more comfortable delivering in a hospital setting.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 2:10pm

Brandie Lilypie - Personal picture

Pages