placenta consumption

iVillage Member
placenta consumption
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 4:21pm

this isnt *really* a debate but I know this subject is not everyone's cup of tea so I put it down here where people can choose to avoid it if they desire. I'm going to use this thread to post articles I find on placenta encapsulation/consumption and discuss it, unless it is brought up in a seperate spot for a different convo- feel free to have convo on it here!

For anyone who hasnt heard of placents encapsulation it's where they dry out, grind up and put the placenta into little pills for mama to take post partum. It is believed to help with PPD and give the new mom an energy boost. Here is a recent article I found discussing it some.

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/sc-news/Placenta-Consumption-on-the-Rise--130827703.html

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Lucas is Lisa Johnson's fourth baby.

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 9:36pm
Interesting. I think I would be willing to try it in pill form but the raw smoothie turns my stomach.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 5:07pm
Wow! Ewwwww! Was my 1st reaction! I think if it works it works... I wouldnt do it.. but i wouldnt think bad if someone else did..i actually would follow along with some one if they did to see if it worked... Would be interesting to see a closed group testing this...
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 10:03am

I think that first time hearing about it reaction is pretty normal. Most people think EW! and why wouldnt they? We arent exactly a culture that usually finds things of that nature normal. But, like you, the more i have heard about it and learned about the benefits- the more it makes sense to me. I mean, all those pregnancy hormones and nutrients we have are all stored in the placenta and still in it when we dispell it so taking a lil pill dose of it after we have that hormone drop, would give someone a lil hormone boost. My midwife knows a lady who encapsulates out there and will come after I birth and do all the encapsulating and bring it back to me after. I *could* do it myself. Ive studied how to and the supplies dont cost any more than hiring someone but Im figuring right after birthing a baby the last thing Im going to feel like doing is cooking and grinding up placenta. LOL

I dont think Im crunchy enough to eat it raw but I have heard of people cutting it into cubes, freazing them and adding a cube of it every morning to a smoothie. I dont have a problem with people choosing to do that. I'm comfortable enough with placenta conception that it doesnt even make me blink but I personally would rather have the lil berry flavored pills!

-Bess--- mom to Eve and Ariel
http://mommakesmilk.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 10:39pm
I've always found this to be really interesting. It struck me as crazy the first time I heard about it a few years ago, but having gone through the insane hormone imbalance of post partum I cannot discount it. I'm not sure I could do it myself but I think there must be something to this. Eating it raw sounds foul though! bleh!

Photobucket<