A Vaccination Question

iVillage Member
A Vaccination Question
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 3:29pm

I was just reading this article (

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 10:24pm
That whooping cough was also a problem here. I remember receiving multiple information flyers on it from our hospital in the last year or so. I know all my boys are up to date on their shots simply by my preference. Since we are home schooling I don't think it would be made mandatory by anything other than when they get involved with team sports, but I like to have them as safe as possible.

From what I understand concerning the HPV thing, I thought it could be contracted and carried by males. However, I thought in men/boys/teenagers/what have you, that it didn't take effect into anything else. My idea was that the intent behind vaccinated boys as well was to prevent them from contracting and spreading it to women--where it could manifest into cancer. This could be completely incorrect, but I had been led to believe that by the snippets I've read here and there over the last few years. I remember I wanted the Gardasil shot series for myself when I was 20 but they said since I'd had a child it would be pointless (don't remember what the reasoning there was).

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 1:10pm
I honestly don't have a problem with there being a "deadline" for some vaccinations. For instance, just this past school year, it was a requirement for all students to provide proof of an updated pertussis vaccination (whooping cough) by the second month (I think?) of their 9th grade year. If they fail to provide proof, they are not allowed to attend classes until they do. They also provided free vaccine clinics all summer long to help people that don't necessarily have the means to go get the shot through doctor visits (lack of insurance, lack of doctor, lack of money, etc). This was a new requirement because we have had a stark increase in cases of whooping cough here in California and 12 children (I think they were all under the age of 2) died in 2010 due to Pertussis. It is my understanding that like Tetanus, the immunity from your initial Pertussis series received as a toddler wears off in about 10 years and in recent years, maybe the past 10 or so, kids weren't required to get their Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis) combo boosters when they turn 12, so they weren't administered. Now, it is a requirement in public schools.

Here is a link to what our Dept of Public Health has regarding whooping cough:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/healthinfo/discond/pages/pertussis.aspx

As far as the HPV vaccination for boys, it is still early on and I don't think there is much in the way of information and case studies that show that it improves or even eradicates the condition in females.The only thing that I can think of is there is a fear that a form of HPV could be contracted by men and maybe there are statistics that show that Gardasil (or whatever form is used) prevents this additional cancer threat. I have no idea, that's just a guess. I don't have an opinion on it per se, but I'd like to see more information before I add more shots to my baby if it's a boy. :)

Just my opinion, or lack thereof. ;) All I know is that I had a Tdap booster when I was 12 and I just had it again two years ago. My son had his series when he was a toddler and will have his booster when he is 12. My husband had his in 2008. We should be good here at home.
Photobucket